Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

I just joined up here

Hi, I just joined up here. I just recently developed a taste for whiskey after finding a bottle of Canadian Club in the cabinet and an episode of Modern Marvels on whiskey distilling. I have had Jack Daniels and other whiskeys in the past but never really bothered to taste the nuances if flavor.

My first Bourbon and I have maybe just a shot left is Maker's Mark. However Maker's Mark is just a bit pricey for me for an everyday or every other day drink. My late father in law drank 10 High for everyday drink and Wild Turkey for special occasions.

I was wondering if you all could give me some tips as to what is a good brand for everyday consumption and just how much it differs from the premium brands.

I also don't believe that I want to be limited to just bourbon. I would like to venture, I think into the Scotch world as well. I think I would like to try a more smoky type scotch.

Please forgive my ignorance, I really don't know much about whiskey and was surprised to find that it is much more than walking up in a saloon and saying "whiskey"

Bob

Guru

Re: I just joined up here

If you are looking for low priced bourbons go with Evan Williams (on the rocks) and WLWeller Special Reserve (neat).
    ovh

Advanced Taster

Hi bob. I posted on your other post as well, but lets just go with this one. There is a wide age range here on the forum, so no worries.

Makers Mark is a pretty popular 'entry' bourbon. Like what was already suggested, Old Weller Special Reserve would be a similar and much better value compared to Makers.
    -Andy

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude

Taster

Hi thanks, I agree lets just go with this one. It got moved from the other area. I will look for the Old Weller Special Reserve next time that I have some money to spend on bourbon. I have seen the Evan Williams, I think even at Walmart but not sure.

Just curious. Is Ten High any good at all? I think the last time I had it, it was a Hiram Walker product. I believe Evan Williams is in the same price range.

Guru

Hi Bob, welcome aboard. You are just a couple years my junior and I don't consider myself old at all. To start I don't believe one need pay a lot of money to get a good drink. It's true some of the whiskys often talked about here cost as much per bottle as a case of Ten High (a few as much as two cases) but that doesn't make them ten times better or anything like that. All hobby boards tend to favor the high end stuff be it whisky or audio equipment.

I think the Heaven Hill brand Evan Williams is a good place to start. It's a solid, traditional Bourbon that is very consistent, hitting the right notes without costing a lot. Heaven Hill offers other brands that are variations on the main theme without being expensive either, and small bottles offer an opportunity to taste more without spending too much.

Posting notes here is like having a drink with friends so let us know what you think as you sample along.

Taster

Squire, I noticed that you are in Jackson, MS. Back in 1974 I went to Aviation Supply A School at Meridian Naval Air Station. Knowing the Navy that base is probably no longer in existence. If I recall, Jackson was very small back then.

Virtuoso

Was Ten High ever any good? I've got a bottle made in Peoria I picked up mainly as a novelty (mainstream bourbon not made in Kentucky), but I haven't opened it yet. It looks pretty light.

Connoisseur

Hello Bob. My 2 cents is that the search engine is one of your best friends on this board. You asked about everyday pours. Typing "everyday" into the advanced search engine gets you these 4 threads, all dedicated to the question of everyday pours.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...archid=1023084

Or say you walk by a bourbon you've never heard of in the store. Note the name, come home and type it in the search engine and you'll get lots of threads. As you read, you'll hear about the name of another bourbon, which will lead you to learn about a particular style of bourbon (what's a wheater?) which might lead you to learn how a particular whiskey has changed as companies have bought and sold it (the devolution of Old Crow). Next thing you know you'll find yourself standing on tip toe in a crappy liquor store in a lousy part of town, trying to see through the bulletproof glass looking for something called "Centennial."

Or maybe not. Maybe you'll just browse around and learn what you want to learn and leave the rest, and that'll be great, too.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Guru

Still there Bob, in fact the Meridian Naval Station is now the largest in the Nation for the training of Naval Pilots. The son of one of my Vietnam comrades graduated from there a few years back.

Guru

Craig, yes and no. Ten High is a respectable brand that manages to stay on the radar by being just good enough yet was major brand much higher up in the Bourbon hierarchy some years back.