Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: I just joined up here

My household 'well' bourbon has become the Jim Beam-produced Old Crow Reserve (black label). It is 4yo and 86 proof, NOT to be confused with the execrable Old Crow white label, which is Beam's imitation of a death wish.
    The 'Reserve' has some significant flavor -- and, thus, can be consumed enjoyably 'neat' -- but is absolutely perfect, at the $18.99 per 1.75L bottle, for kitchen and mixing use.
    An anecdotal aside:
    • I work part-time at a local liquor store, and have been pitching this bourbon for several months to customers who routinely buy either JB 4yo or white-label 7yo/86 (it's significantly cheaper than either), or are just looking for general-purpose bourbon/whiskey. We've been regularly buying the 750ml and/or 1.75L sizes weekly in case volume because of return sales. People buy it again once tried.
    Tim

Guru

Tim can constrain himself only so long before blurting out the truth, which is, you don't have to pay much to get a very satisfactory Bourbon.

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Tim can constrain himself only so long before blurting out the truth, which is, you don't have to pay much to get a very satisfactory Bourbon.
    True that, Squire -- and ain't it a grand thing? Especially since you CAN pay more and get even GRANDER!
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 03-24-2011 at 18:34.
    Tim

Taster

Just bought a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 tonight and I am enjoying it very much. How does Wild Turkey stack up against Makers Mark? Is Wild Turkey considered to be a special occasion type Bourbon? I know it was with my father in law but then he drank Ten High everyday and Wild Turkey was his special occasion drink. Me, I have a lot more expensive tastes but < beer budget.

Advanced Taster

I'd say that Makers and WT101 aren not similar at all. WT has a rye forward in your face sweet and spiciness, while Makers is a wheat recipe that doesn't offer as much complexity in taste.

In many markets, a 750ml bottle of WT can be found for <$20 which makes it one of (in my opinion) best values in all of bourbon. I know in my area Walmart has it right at 20 every day. I can find a 1.75L bottle of it for about $40. There are several people around the forum that have WT in the everyday rotation (I'm one of them).

But as others have said, don't worry so much about what other people do. Feel free to ask for advice, but the goal is that you should do whatever makes you happy and tastes good
    -Andy

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude

First off welcome to the site, I hope you enjoy yourself here. Ask all the questions you like. Try to make it into chat some time it's the gazebo at the top of the main forum page.

I think Andy answered your question about the difference between MM and WT 101 but just a few thoughts on WT 101. WT 101 is my daily pour it in my mind is what bourbon should be. I should think if you looked the word bourbon up in the dictionary there would be a picture of Wild Turkey 101. There are better bourbons and there are more expensive bourbons but there is not a better bourbon at this price and level IMHO. Now is time for Fishnbowljoe to post and say the same thing about Weller.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

Thumbs up Re: I just joined up here

Hey, welcome to the club. Luckily, I have 25 years to tie your on the age, so hopefully I will REALLY know a lot about bourbon by then.

Probably not, though.

Anyway, I also really enjoy WT101. What made me giggle is that you ask if it is a "special occasion" bourbon, and that is funny because almost every time I order some at a pub, the people in there look at me like I just ordered some Beam 8 Star neat, or maybe a "mat shot".

Anyway, enjoy, as I have learned from the many great, knowledgable folks here, it's about if YOU like it and if YOU think it tastes good.

Not about what it costs or what others say.

Also, if you have anywhere around that does a lot of bourbon in a bar setting, it is pretty fun to go and try stuff that you'd not likely drop the cash on (like the day I spent some un-godly amout trying ORVW and even a PVW or two). It is pricey, but you get to taste a lot of stuff for the price of 1 bottle of "the good stuff".

Advanced Taster

http://www.examiner.com/bartender-in...t-s-a-mat-shot

Just for anyone that doesn't know what a "mat shot" is.

Quote Originally Posted by Inthewater View Post
    http://www.examiner.com/bartender-in...t-s-a-mat-shot

Just for anyone that doesn't know what a "mat shot" is.

That's just sick
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    ...WT 101 is my daily pour it in my mind is what bourbon should be. I should think if you looked the word bourbon up in the dictionary there would be a picture of Wild Turkey 101. There are better bourbons and there are more expensive bourbons but there is not a better bourbon at this price and level IMHO....
    -Andy

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude