Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 230
  1. #101
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    209

    Re: What Beer are you drinking spring 2011

    Had some Sessions lager with some pizza for dinner, pretty good all around beer, and on sale for $8.99/12 was a good deal. Generally not a lager fan, but this one seems to hit the spot for me.

  2. #102
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chicago 'burbs
    Posts
    1,098

    Re: What Beer are you drinking spring 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I'll have to see if I can still score the CIA if it's not too late. I've never had it but I'm a fan of nearly all the beers I've tasted from Great Lakes, so it's worth the hunt.
    Well good luck on the hunt. Unfortunately, I just haven't seen it around, even at stores that stock Great Lakes. I picked it up on recommendation from my Binny's beer guy, but Great Lakes are not beers I normally drink. I think I tried one or two types a few years ago and found them a bit too harsh for my tastes.

    But this CIA makes me want to give their other beers another try.

  3. #103
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,509

    Re: What Beer are you drinking spring 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed a few bottles of Bridgeport IPA last night. I wish more American microbreweries would put out bottle-conditioned beer. Great stuff and not overly hopped, which is a nice change of pace these days!
    After reading this I decided to try the Bridgeport IPA. It is a good beer, very crisp to me, but I find it to be lacking a little flavor. With that said, I think this would be terrific after a round of golf during the hot summer down here in Atlanta!
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

  4. #104
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,850

    Re: What Beer are you drinking spring 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by jcg9779 View Post
    After reading this I decided to try the Bridgeport IPA. It is a good beer, very crisp to me, but I find it to be lacking a little flavor. With that said, I think this would be terrific after a round of golf during the hot summer down here in Atlanta!
    Glad you tried it. My brother had a similar feeling, that it was slightly on the bland side, whereas I found it nicely balanced with just enough hop flavor/aroma to satisfy me. For those folks seeking an IPA with a heavy dose of hops, they'll need to look elsewhere. But if you want a nice pale ale (rather than a lager) for those hot summer days ahead, this really would be a great choice.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  5. #105
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,509

    Re: What Beer are you drinking spring 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Glad you tried it. My brother had a similar feeling, that it was slightly on the bland side, whereas I found it nicely balanced with just enough hop flavor/aroma to satisfy me. For those folks seeking an IPA with a heavy dose of hops, they'll need to look elsewhere. But if you want a nice pale ale (rather than a lager) for those hot summer days ahead, this really would be a great choice.
    You do mention in your original post that it isn't overly hoppy - it could have tasted bland to me because, even though I knew it wasn't too hoppy, I was still expecting that IPA profile to come through. I did buy two bombers at $2.99 each, so the price isn't too bad and I'll give the second one a try sometime in the next week. Maybe I'll have a different opinion now that I know what to expect.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

  6. #106
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,001

    Re: What Beer are you drinking spring 2011

    2 great beers last night. Dogfish - Hellhound on my ale, and 3 Floyds Arctic Panzer.

  7. #107
    Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    4,559

    Re: What Beer are you drinking spring 2011

    Tried a new one on a whim....Roscoe’s Hop House – Craft Ale – Amber Ale –....very nice, smooth, slightly sweet malt, just a hint of hops. Evidently, the brewer also makes the Dundee line up, which I had before and enjoyed.....Genesee Brewing Company. Sold in Meijer stores.

    http://beerdoctor.wordpress.com/cate...use-amber-ale/

    http://yearinbeer.tumblr.com/post/72...coes-amber-ale

    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/roscoes...er-ale/109609/

    http://grub.gunaxin.com/roscoes-hop-...mber-ale/27507
    Last edited by Jono; 05-08-2011 at 18:59.

  8. #108
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,850

    Re: What Beer are you drinking spring 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by jcg9779 View Post
    You do mention in your original post that it isn't overly hoppy - it could have tasted bland to me because, even though I knew it wasn't too hoppy, I was still expecting that IPA profile to come through. I did buy two bombers at $2.99 each, so the price isn't too bad and I'll give the second one a try sometime in the next week. Maybe I'll have a different opinion now that I know what to expect.
    I think that's what threw my brother too. He was expecting one thing and got something else. But I remember reading that the late Michael Jackson (the Beer Hunter, not the one with the chimp) considered it one of America's top ten beers (this was many years ago, so I'm sure his list would have changed), so I felt it was worth a try. Have you tried Goose Island IPA?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  9. #109
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,509

    Re: What Beer are you drinking spring 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I think that's what threw my brother too. He was expecting one thing and got something else. But I remember reading that the late Michael Jackson (the Beer Hunter, not the one with the chimp) considered it one of America's top ten beers (this was many years ago, so I'm sure his list would have changed), so I felt it was worth a try. Have you tried Goose Island IPA?
    I have had the Goose Island IPA before, but it's been years. It was when I was living in Texas and a place got one keg of it, and then they never ordered it again (I do remember it being very good). I haven't seen it in Atlanta before, but I haven't been looking for it either. I'm glad you reminded me of this one...I'll see if I can find it!
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

  10. #110
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,850

    Re: What Beer are you drinking spring 2011

    Goose Island is a local microbrewery here in Chicago and they have a beautiful range of products, with their IPA being one of my favorites. They were bought not long ago by Anheuser-Busch, so I'm guessing it won't be long before you'll be able to find it on your shelves in Atlanta. Goose Island IPA has a much more pronounced hop flavor/aroma than the Bridgeport IPA but still manages to refrain from overdoing it with the hops. I'll be having a few tonight at my local Irish pub!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2011
    By Stones in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 182
    Last Post: 11-24-2012, 01:22
  2. What bourbon are you drinking? - Spring 2011
    By Special Reserve in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 1171
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 17:26
  3. What Bourbon did you purchase today? - Spring 2011
    By hectic1 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 825
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 05:31
  4. What Beer are you Drinking Spring 2010
    By HipFlask in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 02:52
  5. What Beer Are You Drinking? Spring '09
    By funknik in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 244
    Last Post: 09-25-2009, 03:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top