Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Beer are you drinking spring 2011

Had some Sessions lager with some pizza for dinner, pretty good all around beer, and on sale for $8.99/12 was a good deal. Generally not a lager fan, but this one seems to hit the spot for me.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I'll have to see if I can still score the CIA if it's not too late. I've never had it but I'm a fan of nearly all the beers I've tasted from Great Lakes, so it's worth the hunt.
    Well good luck on the hunt. Unfortunately, I just haven't seen it around, even at stores that stock Great Lakes. I picked it up on recommendation from my Binny's beer guy, but Great Lakes are not beers I normally drink. I think I tried one or two types a few years ago and found them a bit too harsh for my tastes.

But this CIA makes me want to give their other beers another try.

Disciple

I thoroughly enjoyed a few bottles of Bridgeport IPA last night. I wish more American microbreweries would put out bottle-conditioned beer. Great stuff and not overly hopped, which is a nice change of pace these days!
    After reading this I decided to try the Bridgeport IPA. It is a good beer, very crisp to me, but I find it to be lacking a little flavor. With that said, I think this would be terrific after a round of golf during the hot summer down here in Atlanta!
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jcg9779 View Post
    After reading this I decided to try the Bridgeport IPA. It is a good beer, very crisp to me, but I find it to be lacking a little flavor. With that said, I think this would be terrific after a round of golf during the hot summer down here in Atlanta!
    Glad you tried it. My brother had a similar feeling, that it was slightly on the bland side, whereas I found it nicely balanced with just enough hop flavor/aroma to satisfy me. For those folks seeking an IPA with a heavy dose of hops, they'll need to look elsewhere. But if you want a nice pale ale (rather than a lager) for those hot summer days ahead, this really would be a great choice.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

Glad you tried it. My brother had a similar feeling, that it was slightly on the bland side, whereas I found it nicely balanced with just enough hop flavor/aroma to satisfy me. For those folks seeking an IPA with a heavy dose of hops, they'll need to look elsewhere. But if you want a nice pale ale (rather than a lager) for those hot summer days ahead, this really would be a great choice.
    You do mention in your original post that it isn't overly hoppy - it could have tasted bland to me because, even though I knew it wasn't too hoppy, I was still expecting that IPA profile to come through. I did buy two bombers at $2.99 each, so the price isn't too bad and I'll give the second one a try sometime in the next week. Maybe I'll have a different opinion now that I know what to expect.
    Jack

Guru

2 great beers last night. Dogfish - Hellhound on my ale, and 3 Floyds Arctic Panzer.

Guru

Tried a new one on a whim....Roscoe’s Hop House – Craft Ale – Amber Ale –....very nice, smooth, slightly sweet malt, just a hint of hops. Evidently, the brewer also makes the Dundee line up, which I had before and enjoyed.....Genesee Brewing Company. Sold in Meijer stores.

http://beerdoctor.wordpress.com/cate...use-amber-ale/

http://yearinbeer.tumblr.com/post/72...coes-amber-ale

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/roscoes...er-ale/109609/

http://grub.gunaxin.com/roscoes-hop-...mber-ale/27507
    Last edited by Jono; 05-08-2011 at 18:59.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jcg9779 View Post
    You do mention in your original post that it isn't overly hoppy - it could have tasted bland to me because, even though I knew it wasn't too hoppy, I was still expecting that IPA profile to come through. I did buy two bombers at $2.99 each, so the price isn't too bad and I'll give the second one a try sometime in the next week. Maybe I'll have a different opinion now that I know what to expect.
    I think that's what threw my brother too. He was expecting one thing and got something else. But I remember reading that the late Michael Jackson (the Beer Hunter, not the one with the chimp) considered it one of America's top ten beers (this was many years ago, so I'm sure his list would have changed), so I felt it was worth a try. Have you tried Goose Island IPA?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

I think that's what threw my brother too. He was expecting one thing and got something else. But I remember reading that the late Michael Jackson (the Beer Hunter, not the one with the chimp) considered it one of America's top ten beers (this was many years ago, so I'm sure his list would have changed), so I felt it was worth a try. Have you tried Goose Island IPA?
    I have had the Goose Island IPA before, but it's been years. It was when I was living in Texas and a place got one keg of it, and then they never ordered it again (I do remember it being very good). I haven't seen it in Atlanta before, but I haven't been looking for it either. I'm glad you reminded me of this one...I'll see if I can find it!
    Jack

Guru

Goose Island is a local microbrewery here in Chicago and they have a beautiful range of products, with their IPA being one of my favorites. They were bought not long ago by Anheuser-Busch, so I'm guessing it won't be long before you'll be able to find it on your shelves in Atlanta. Goose Island IPA has a much more pronounced hop flavor/aroma than the Bridgeport IPA but still manages to refrain from overdoing it with the hops. I'll be having a few tonight at my local Irish pub!