Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Beer are you drinking spring 2011

Tried Negra Modelo for the first time at On The Border yesterday. Not bad at all.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Virtuoso

Founders Old Crumudgen... big, rich and a fairly heavy brew. Holding the rest for cooler weather...
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Virtuoso

For fathers day I enjoyed a Sammy Smith Yorkshire Stingo which is a bottle conditioned ale aged in oak ale casks for over 12 months.

The color of the ale was a dark orange tinged amber... beautiful. The nose is malt, oak, fall pumpkin pie spice and caramel apple. A hint of mustiness appeared on the nose which I found appealing but may turn others off a bit.

The flavor was to my palate incredible... fruit cake, dark fruit, oak, chocolate, malt, caramel, spice and sherry notes all come through. Very rich, perfectly balanced and one of the most complex ales I have had. Not overly sweet with layers of flavors coming through with each sip. A great example of a brewer who seeks balance over brute force.

Well worth seeking out if you can find it...
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    For fathers day I enjoyed a Sammy Smith Yorkshire Stingo which is a bottle conditioned ale aged in oak ale casks for over 12 months.

The color of the ale was a dark orange tinged amber... beautiful. The nose is malt, oak, fall pumpkin pie spice and caramel apple. A hint of mustiness appeared on the nose which I found appealing but may turn others off a bit.

The flavor was to my palate incredible... fruit cake, dark fruit, oak, chocolate, malt, caramel, spice and sherry notes all come through. Very rich, perfectly balanced and one of the most complex ales I have had. Not overly sweet with layers of flavors coming through with each sip. A great example of a brewer who seeks balance over brute force.

Man... I'll have one of what Reid is having! But until I track some down, I'll be sipping on some cold DAB in 500ml cans, one of my favorite summer heat and thirst quenching beers.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    Man... I'll have one of what Reid is having! But until I track some down, I'll be sipping on some cold DAB in 500ml cans, one of my favorite summer heat and thirst quenching beers.
    Thad, just came across this video review of the Stingo... Chris does a great job...

http://www.beergeeknation.com/?p=3182

Virtuoso

Tonight I reached for a Founders KBS.... this boy is a chocolate bomb that just keeps giving. I gather the bourbon barrel adds a fair amount of sweetness to the brew. Nice treat now and then but given the choice I would grab a Stingo.......

Disciple

Thad, just came across this video review of the Stingo... Chris does a great job...
    After your write up and his video I couldn't resist getting my tired ass back in the car tonight and bringing home 3 bottles. Thanks for the heads up on this one Reid.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Disciple

After reading this review I stopped by the store while I was out for lunch yesterday. They did not have the Stingo, but I did pick up a Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter. Has anyone had this? I'm looking forward to trying this one tonight.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The Taddy is a good example (IMO) of a 1700's-1800's style porter in its dryness. A good, traditional, winy porter.

Good catch on that Stingo, that is an example of an English strong beer which used to be brewed seasonally, in spring or autumn, for aging into the following season or even year(s). It would be well-hopped to last the aging, and be set down in wood for a long spell to get a balanced palate, not too sweet, not too dry, not too bitter, with the flavours of age (often a nutty or Madeira-like effect). Cheers.

Gary

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    .......Stingo, that is an example of an English strong beer which used to be brewed seasonally, in spring or autumn, for aging into the following season or even year(s). It would be well-hopped to last the aging, and be set down in wood for a long spell to get a balanced palate, not too sweet, not too dry, not too bitter, with the flavours of age (often a nutty or Madeira-like effect). Cheers.

Gary
    Perfect description Gary.... now why are beers like this so hard to find? Stingo is near imposible to get and when I do it is one or two??? Any suggestions on something that may be similiar to the Stingo??