Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Irreverent One

Re: Knob Creek.....Single Barrel???

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    On sale for $33 until the end of the month, I decided to go ahead and grab a bottle.
    Damn!

It's $48 here. I've yet to pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    What the world needs now is another thread on Knob Creek Single Barrel, like I need a hole in the head.
    How else you gonna get out the brain worms?
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Connoisseur

Thanks for the insight and info! I didn't realize "premium" was objective and not subject. Very interesting.

TNbourbon.....most stores I visit here have the KC SB around $43. I got an email from the head of my whisky club (who also happens to run the spirits department at my favorite store www.vineandtable.com) indicating they would have it on sale for $33 until April 1st. I'm sure they're just trying to unload some of their supply.

So if anyone is in the Indianapolis/Carmel area, I'd suggest swinging by and stocking up. Good price!

And I apologize if this is the 8,354,139 post on the new KC. I read through the first few I found but didn't see any discussions on the "Booker Noe was anti-single barrel so what gives" topic.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    Yep. Money... the greatest motivator there is.
    Now, now... let's not discount sex.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I've only bought one bottle for home and I'll have it after dinner in a resturant if that's the best they have and in most cases it is the best they have.
    I totally agree with Oscar.

KC (the standard or the SB variant) falls into the category of "OK, I'm stuck here in this bar / restaurant... so what's the best that's available?"
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Now, now... let's not discount sex.
    True! But...a lot of the time, money is the greatest motivator there, also.

Guru

A couple of decades back Forester and Grand Dad were considered premiums and have remained relatively unchanged since. What we face now is a wider choice than I thought I would ever have which makes for exciting times for a Bourbon/Rye enthusiast. On the other hand I am reluctant to demote an old tried and true product whose qualities are still there.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I suppose you can personalize a word like 'premium,' but I think it's more useful to adopt standardized industry categories. It makes the terminology more useful if everybody means the same thing by it. Therefore KC is premium regardless of how you might rate it personally.

As for "Booker didn't like single barrel," that was more a marketing position than a strong personal opinion on Booker's part, although Booker may well have been an important part of the corporate decision to compete with the emerging single barrels, in particular Blanton's, by creating a category called 'small batch,' instead of just jumping on the single barrel bandwagon.

The term 'small batch' has always been widely misunderstood but to its creators it was parallel to 'single barrel' in that both described the preparation of mature whiskey for bottling, whether bottled one barrel at a time or dumped in batches of a relatively small number of barrels.

What I think has become a corporate imperative at Beam is that all of their major brands are expected to develop and launch appropriate line extensions and Jim Beam itself, as their biggest brand, has done several. They have been doing it outside of the whiskey category too, with Sauza and Hornitos Tequila, Cruzan Rum, Canadian Club Canadian Whisky and Courvoisier Cognac.

I'm sure they tested a variety of concepts for a step-up line extension for Knob and the single barrel at a higher proof tested best.

Doing a single barrel product requires an investment in a special bottling line, or the use of an outside vendor that has one. It's essentially a hand operation, so very labor intensive. I think Beam is the last company to launch a single-barrel product but they do now have a single barrel line so there may be others coming.
    Last edited by cowdery; 03-27-2011 at 17:40.

Disciple

KCSBR is $35 in tax-free Delaware. I think it tastes pretty great. The only thing that keeps me from buying it more often is the OGD114 for $20 on the shelf under it.

Guru

Grand Dad 114 is an expression I always recommend, even if it were to cost more than it does.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Grand Dad 114 is an expression I always recommend, even if it were to cost more than it does.
    Never tried it......but I will now! Thanks!