Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Amazing Discovery

Today on the way to visit my mother-in-law in Greenwood, I stopped at a small liquor store on the way in a small town and the owner had an amazing collection of bourbon. He had about 300 or so bottles of various bourbons that were in pint and quart bottles. He even had several that said "For Medicinal Purposes Only". He explained that his grandfather was a pharmacist and opened a liquor store shortly after repeal. Many names I have only heard about. Unfortunately he refused to sell any of them. Partly because he had recently seen a show on TV about the value of old liquor. He did offer to sell me two bottles of WT 12 year for $53 a bottle but that seemed a little steep. It was interesting to hold these old bottles though.

Guru

Re: Amazing Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    He did offer to sell me two bottles of WT 12 year for $53 a bottle but that seemed a little steep.
    No, that is a very very good price.
    ovh

...He did offer to sell me two bottles of WT 12 year for $53 a bottle but that seemed a little steep. It was interesting to hold these old bottles though.
    What's your address? Or, if you have a PayPal account, I can have money to you tomorrow!
    I mean, man, do you think $35 would be too much for some ORVW 15yo? The price you were offered is what I gladly paid almost 10 years ago!
    Buy 'em!
    Tim

Virtuoso

Steep is a relative thing apparently. Rare Breed for 40 bucks is steep (or just a rip-off). In comparison, 53 for WT12 seems like a steal.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Connoisseur

I guess I need to go back and get them. The last time I got WT12 it was for $35 about 6 months ago at another store in this small town.

ANother question: He also offered me a WT Old No. 8 Gift pack with two small shot glasses for $20. Is it any better/worse than the current WT101. I can get the current gift packs for about $20 also.

Guru

I guess I need to go back and get them. The last time I got WT12 it was for $35 about 6 months ago at another store in this small town.

ANother question: He also offered me a WT Old No. 8 Gift pack with two small shot glasses for $20. Is it any better/worse than the current WT101. I can get the current gift packs for about $20 also.
    I'd get all the WT 12 he has. Say I'll give you $50/bottle for WT12 See what happens. If nothing else you should buy all you can at $53. Same with the WT 101 8yr old.

Good luck.

Guru

Old No 8 is a lot better than the current 101 and stands on it's own two feet as a very good bourbon.
    20 bucks with or without the shot glasses is a must buy.
    ovh

Guru

Enoch I'd visit all the stores in that area.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

And if you don't want to, just announce the name of the town and of the liquor store, and it will all be taken care of very shortly.

"Old No. 8" was a very brief label that immediately followed the removal of the age statement from standard WT 101. This was around the same time that Rare Breed and Kentucky Spirit were introduced, a bit less than 20 years ago. If I saw an "Old No. 8" for $20 I would buy it without hesitation.

Virtuoso

Old #8 ran from 1992 to 1997. The second worst bottle of Wild Turkey I've ever had was an Old 8 from 1997. The Old 8s from 1992-4 are very, very good whiskey with a slight rum-like quality. They are good enough to give the 8/101 that so many people here cherish a run for their money in their own way. The stuff from 95 is very good, 6 good, and 7.... well.... not so much. At that point turkey switched over to the 101 labelling.

Rare breed came out in 1991. There were two different batches in 1991. I am unsure of exactly when Kentucky Spirit came out- 1992?, but between the two of them Turkey apparently needed its older juice and had to axe the 8 year label. WTKS, RB, and 12 co-existed for another 7 years... Then 12 got killed off.

On the back label or neck wrap, you will find an exact bottling date for the old 8 and 12 year. I have never tried a bad split. I only personally possess a single bottle from may of 98, but it is very, very good whiskey.
    Last edited by ErichPryde; 03-27-2011 at 23:08.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.