Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Open Bottle Problem

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    I did that once, I had about 80 open. I made myself not open anything else until they were all gone. Took nearly 4 years, even throwing parties and telling people I've got it, don't bring anything. Go 4 years without trying anything new and you'll learn some self control.
    Yikes. I have around 65 open now, but I don't worry too much about the ones that are still pretty full.

Disciple

Current American Whiskies Open:

Three - 1.75 ML
    Thirty four - 750 ML or 4/5 quart
    One - Liter
    Four - 3.75 ML or pint

Most have been open a year or less with a few stretching the year and a half mark. The only time I have noticed some degradation was a PVW 20 at about a year and a half with the last two ounces or so. I've never gone over two years open at least in the last decade. Once had a 1/2 gallon Crown Royal that was open for at least 10 years starting in 1980.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Advanced Taster

I'm with Rughi and sku—I make sure to share 'em with friends. I "repurpose," too, but more often I'll give away bottles that no longer make me swoon. I just get so tired of looking at those open bottles and feeling obliged to drink them down before I can open a new—hopefully better—one. Now my friends get to benefit from my fickle tastes.
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I have no self control. Maybe it is because I just started drinking Bourbon again about a year and a half ago after a 35 year hiatus (cheap stuff during college days) but I can't wait to open and try every new bottle I find. As a result I have over 90 bottles open right now. I do enjoy comparison tasting every night but I am running out of space to put the open bottles.How do the rest of you control yourselves?
    I kind of have that issue too. When I buy a bottle and bring it home, the first thing I want to do is open it up and enjoy my bounty. I got up to 14 open when I decided to have a self imposed 8 bottle policy. Although the 8 bottles only counts towards regular rotation bottles. I don't mind having a couple other bottles open that I use for drinking at parties or mixing etc.

One thing I would suggest is getting some of the 2, 4, and 8oz bottles that have been discussed recently on another thread and go through your bottles and rebottle the bourbon you would hate to have spoil, and just leave the ones you don't care as much about.

Heck, I'm sure with that many open bottles you'd run across a few that you may have forgotten you had. Just my $.02.
    -Andy

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude

Advanced Taster

I ended up trying to cut down on how many bottles open too but I decided to refrain from finishing some odd ball bottles that guests may not have ever had a chance to sample (Bern, VOB, Old Pogue, Weller 7, BT).

Trippah and Admin

I've got 40 open and I'm trying to drink them down. I've opened two new ones in the last few months (Makers 46 and KCSB) and I've pitched maybe 6 or 7 empties, so I'm making progress.

FWIW, the bottle that took the extended opening the worst was a slope shouldered OCPR but I'm mucking through it.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

wripvanwrinkle

Yikes. I was concerned about my 25 open bottles...but reading this thread I feel much better.

Initially I opened most of them under the guise of comparison. Later, I was compelled by greedy christmas morning impatience. For what it is worth, my current impression is that I "learn" more about a whiskey drinking through a few bottles at a time rather than experiencing the variety of many different drams.

Disciple

My family, friends and I are drinkers. Open bottles don't last very long at all...

Advanced Taster

I currently have 13 opened, I'm trying to get that number down to the single digits (a couple bottles are fairly low actually). My problem is whenever I head up to MI I get a few bottles that are hard to come by/unavailable here in OH and I almost always will open one to drink while I'm there. I suppose I need to start bringing a bottle with me...

Virtuoso

Don't worry..... Its not a problem at all. I have about 75 open and I too am out of room.... so I have to styash bottles throughout the house....

Kitchen, bedroom, closet, garage.... if there is a spot, there is a bottle....
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.