Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    4,568

    The World's 10 Strongest Liquor Brands

    http://www.cnbc.com/id/42355326/

    A certain TN whiskey is #6. No real surprises on the list....

  2. #2
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: The World's 10 Strongest Liquor Brands

    That's an interesting list. I don't consider vermouth to be liquor, but they apparently do.

    While Captain Morgan traces its roots back over sixty years, I didn't hear of it until the late '70s, when the distributor held a tasting on my college campus (oh, the glorious '70s and the drinking age of 18).

    Absolut is absolutely about the wonderful marketing. You have to give them credit for that. But you don't have to buy it.

  3. #3
    Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    4,568

    Re: The World's 10 Strongest Liquor Brands

    Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    That's an interesting list. I don't consider vermouth to be liquor, but they apparently do.

    While Captain Morgan traces its roots back over sixty years, I didn't hear of it until the late '70s, when the distributor held a tasting on my college campus (oh, the glorious '70s and the drinking age of 18).

    Absolut is absolutely about the wonderful marketing. You have to give them credit for that. But you don't have to buy it.
    I was somewhat surprised to see Ballantines on the list, and I agree about the vermouth - it appears they are considering a cordial more than a wine.
    Another tidbit I did not know was that Martini and Rossi merged with Bacardi.

  4. #4
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    43

    Re: The World's 10 Strongest Liquor Brands

    List even refers to JD as a bourbon:

    "The famous sourmash Tennessee whiskey is also considered a straight Bourbon by some,"


    Would have been nice for the author to dispel that notion, but oh well...

  5. #5
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: The World's 10 Strongest Liquor Brands

    Quote Originally Posted by bourduc View Post
    List even refers to JD as a bourbon:

    "The famous sourmash Tennessee whiskey is also considered a straight Bourbon by some,"


    Would have been nice for the author to dispel that notion, but oh well...
    But it is "considered a straight Bourbon by some"; that's a factual statement. In fact, there some some right here that consider it be.

  6. #6
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    43

    Re: The World's 10 Strongest Liquor Brands

    Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    But it is "considered a straight Bourbon by some"; that's a factual statement. In fact, there some some right here that consider it be.

    I'll give you that, but the author had the chance to make the statement that it does not qualify as a straight bourbon. Actually it made me wonder if a bourbon brand was kept off the list because JD would carry the torch...just food for thought.

  7. #7
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: The World's 10 Strongest Liquor Brands

    Quote Originally Posted by bourduc View Post
    I'll give you that, but the author had the chance to make the statement that it does not qualify as a straight bourbon. Actually it made me wonder if a bourbon brand was kept off the list because JD would carry the torch...just food for thought.
    He could have made that statement, but he'd be wrong.

    It's been discussed over and over, so I'll be brief: there's nothing about the Lincoln County Process that prevents Jack Daniel's from being bourbon. It doesn't have "bourbon" on the label because Brown-Forman wants it that way, not because it doesn't qualify.

  8. #8
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,509

    Re: The World's 10 Strongest Liquor Brands

    Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    He could have made that statement, but he'd be wrong.

    It's been discussed over and over, so I'll be brief: there's nothing about the Lincoln County Process that prevents Jack Daniel's from being bourbon. It doesn't have "bourbon" on the label because Brown-Forman wants it that way, not because it doesn't qualify.
    Instead of hijacking a thread, is there an existing thread that talks about this? I always thought that JD wasn't a bourbon because it actually didn't qualify...I'd like to read more on this, if it's out there.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

  9. #9
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    140

    Re: The World's 10 Strongest Liquor Brands

    In the interest of resolving the TNW vs. Bourbon debate quickly, may I direct your attention to this thread: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...nessee+bourbon

    {For me the best answer to the question on the thread comes from the esteemed Mr. Cowdery:

    "The differences between Tennessee Whiskey and Bourbon Whiskey are similar to the differences between "whiskey" and "whisky," in that there is much less to it than most people think...as a practical matter the difference is merely technical. For all intents and purposes, Jack Daniel's and George Dickel are bourbon in all but name. .... Tennessee Whiskey is very much within the profile of Straight Bourbon Whiskey... it is even conceivable that Jack and George could be labeled "straight bourbon" if they wanted to be.... They aren't labeled as bourbon because they choose not to be." }



    I liked the slideshow but I don't know if it really means much in the end. It's probably just a pr stunt from the consulting firm and their client(s)...it isn't disclosed in the article who the consulting firm is working for...still I find these types of lists fascinating in their own right. Sorry to see that Jim Beam at least didn't crack the top ten.
    Final score:
    Scotch 3, American Whiskey 1

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. World's Oldest Whisky
    By silverfish in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-04-2011, 09:15
  2. Worlds strongest beer from brewdog
    By nor02lei in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-22-2010, 08:31
  3. World's strangest highball?
    By ratcheer in forum Cocktails
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 14:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top