Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

BOTM 4/11: The 2010 BTAC

No, it's not an April Fools joke. I figured if Malt Advocate can make the 2010 BTAC the "American Whiskey Of The Year", I can make it the BOTM. Let's have some fun.

As for myself, I haven't had the Handy and Saz, but I will say that IMHO, (not being technical at all) the ER17 is pretty good, the GTS is very good, and the WLW............... well, you all know me and my love of all things Weller.

Cheers and happy posting! Joe
    Last edited by fishnbowljoe; 03-31-2011 at 23:40.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Taster

Re: BOTM 4/11: The 2010 BTAC

I picked up the whole line around November/December and have opened three:

GTS
    WLW
    Saz18

Impressions:

GTS seems really heavy this year, at least in comparison to the last two years. Powerful flavors, strong oak. Great stuff. I'm glad I managed to get 4 bottles of this years release.

WLW- Seems very similar to last years release. I think I may give the edge to the 09 release though.

Sazerac 18- Very smooth, not thick. Good nose. I prefer the darker aged ryes like VWFRR and Michter's 10 yr but this is great nonetheless. I had Saz18 at a bar in Boston (Eastern Standard) last year and I think the 2010 release is better.

The Handy will be next as that it is my go to for a kick ass Manhattan.

I think this thread is an excuse to assemble a flight sometime this weekend and report any new findings.

Disciple

I got my first bottle of GTS a couple of weeks ago and here are my initial thoughts that I had posted:

I cut it to 107 proof and took my first sip. There was more initial sweetness than I would have thought, but not in a bad way. I can tell there is some greatness here, but I think it needs to open up a bit. I can't wait to try this again in a couple of months after it's had a chance to get some air to it.

I'll have to give it a try again over the weekend to see how I feel about it.

I've never had a chance to try the ER17 or the WLW - both are on my "buy on sight" list though.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Disciple

The GTS, WLW, and THH are fantastic whiskey's every year. They always rate into the 90s for me. ER17 and Saz18 just don't do it for me due to the low proof.

Disciple

I have had a bottle of Stagg and WLW but only 2 small pours of Handy. I liked Stagg very much and consider it one of the best years ever. Bunches of chocolate with a fruity background. WLW seemed tied to me and not that good. First impression of Handy is very good and well in same quality as privies years.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Virtuoso

I have a Saz 18 and a Handy, and I'm new enough at this that I had never tried either before.

The Saz 18 is very good: smooth, but the rye flavors are still prominent despite the fruit in the background. Also more butterscotch than I anticipated.

Handy, I just picked up and have only had a couple of snorts of it, so I can't say I'm fully acquainted with it. Still trying to hone in on the perfect level of dilution. I get definite notes of cinnamon and maybe a little dark, unsweetened chocolate. The surprising flavor for me, is fresh cut alfalfa hay. At first it was more along the line of uncured tobacco, but it really reminds me of alfalfa, both on the nose and on the palate.

Trippah and Admin

BTOTY is going to be pricey this year.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

I grabbed WLW and GTS. I'm a big Weller guy as well but I give the nod to GTS this year.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Taster

Where do you guys find this stuff? My local store tried to order some, but didn't come through for me. Only three of them are on the Ohio special order list, but just because they are on the list doesn't mean that you can get them.

Enthusiast

Big Weller guy as well. I have thoroughly enjoyed this years Weller. Haven't been able to find any of the other BTAC. Unfortunately CT. isn't exactly bourbon country.