Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: BOTM 4/11: The 2010 BTAC

Wasn't going to comment but tasted some 2010 Stagg again and think it's probably the best since the Spring 2005 release.

Haven't tried the Larue, not really anxious too, but will eventually.

Same goes for the Handy and ER.

As for the Sazerac 18, I am not opening any new versions until it comes from something other than a stainless steel tank. It is still great whiskey but, as I've said before, I noticed a difference for the worse.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Advanced Taster

I have only the WLW from this collection, purchased earlier in the year. BOTM a good excuse to open it. Had a couple of nice pours over the weekend.

For the record, I'm a longtime bourbon drinker but new to describing it. Almost always drink it straight and prefer wheaters, usually in the 100-107 proof range, which have been in the barrel a while. This WLW is the first barrel-proof bottle I've owned, but not the first I've sampled.

I love the nose. It's very pleasant and I sensed organic honey and vanilla. I tasted mostly in sips, some bigger than just a sip. Very nice body, with less honey and vanilla in the taste, but added hints of licorice and some oak. A curious mix of subtle tastes with a tad of sweetness. I also had a sense of fresh summer air--in particular, of our family farm's fields, where the crops are usually corn and soy beans (never wheat, though).

Goes down smoothly enough, but I found the finish vague. Nothing I could put my finger on, especially since it didn't linger very long. The burn befuddled me. Sometimes I felt some fire on the way down, sometimes none at all; and occasionally, well after sipping, an afterburner turned on, racing its way up my esophagus. None of this was unpleasant for me, merely odd because it was so varied. I'm just over a cold, and throat's a bit raw, so will re-sample this weekend.

I like this WLW but am wondering how often I'll reach for it when I have many others that I prefer. Guess I'll have to haul it out to the farm this summer.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Doggerlander View Post
    Where do you guys find this stuff? My local store tried to order some, but didn't come through for me. Only three of them are on the Ohio special order list, but just because they are on the list doesn't mean that you can get them.
    doggerlander, i don't know what the btac allocation for ohio is like. if you can order online, i suggest you do it for this year's release. good luck! fortunately, i live in a state that sells a lot of bourbon and our allocation of btac is relatively big.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    ER17 and Saz18 just don't do it for me due to the low proof.
    Ditto on the low proof.

Thought both the WLW & GTS were both very good this year but a little on the "hot" side, even after cut down in proof.

Near the end of a 10' Handy and think it is one of the best of the THH.

Virtuoso

Has anybody tried vatting the two ryes? I'm tempted to try it, though I like each one in its own right, I'd hate to bring either one down.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by The Boozer View Post
    Ditto on the low proof.

Thought both the WLW & GTS were both very good this year but a little on the "hot" side, even after cut down in proof.
    Agree though a bit less so on the WLW. The GTS is really spicy, complex and very in your face compared to the 08 GTS I recently picked up. That could be good or bad depending on the mood I'm in. I think the 10 GTS is better overall(Ive only had 08 GTS to compare) but that doesnt mean Im always in the mood for what it has to offer. When I am though its definitely one of the best bourbons Ive ever tasted.

Enthusiast

The Stagg is thick and rich this year. I find it full of caramel and butter. I did notice it seems to miss some of the vanilla in the nose from previous years. It also has a lot of oak in the taste and finish. Given the richness and complexity, I won't complain. I don't think its overoaked, but I don't think more time in the barrel would have helped it either. Excellent, yet slightly different from other releases.

The WLW is outstanding as always. I can't help but think of it as barrel proof lot B. I've read posts saying it is hot. I personally think its as smooth as it gets and have it neat only.

Based on the fill levels of the 2, I would say the Weller is more popular at my house. Handy is next on my list. Eagle rare will be skipped and we'll see about the Sazerac.

I have only had the William Larue Weller & Thomas H Handy in the 2010 offerings. The Thomas H Handy is peppery and very tasty, the more I drink the more I like it. The William Larue Weller is smooth and silky, amazing juice that begs to be drunk neat, be careful as drunk can creep up on you real fast with this barrel proof.

On the William Larue Weller if you find multiple bottles to choose from I would choose the one with the most debris like stuff in the bottle. Of the several bottles I have killed the one with the most stuff floating in it was by far the best bottle.

Advanced Taster

I'm considering picking up a 2010 bottle of ER17. In reading some of the comments here, my impression of the bottle is that while good, it may not be the best value of the BTAC.

For those of you who pass/don't enjoy the ER17, is it because the proof is not high enough for your liking/not up to par in comparison to the GTS/WLW/THH or is because you just don't enjoy the taste?

Advanced Taster

WRT Eagle Rare, it's good. I just don't think it's $70 good. If it was priced around $40-45 I would definitely pick some up but I'm not a big fan of paying premium prices for water. I do in some cases like PVW20 where I find the bourbon to be extraordinary. For the money though I will always just stick with GTS, WLW, and THH as I personally like them better than ER and Saz anyway and the value is there in comparison as well.