Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

What is your Scariest Liquor Store Experience

I travel around alot in small towns and stop at every building that has red dots to see what they may have. I stopped at one the other day and realized I was in this woman's living room which had shelves and some liquor on them for sale. She really never got up from her recliner watching TV but I did find a quart of "Bourbon Supreme" from the 70's. I doubt it is very drinkable but for $5 it will make a nice conversation piece. My point is that a lot of the stores I find old stuff are in really scarey parts of town. So what is your scariest experience?

Disciple

Re: What is your Scariest Liquor Store Experience

If ever there was a thread made for Tony, ACDETROIT, this is it.
    Last edited by DeanSheen; 03-31-2011 at 16:14.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Disciple

I was in my local liquor store about 10 years ago and a customer in front of me started arguing with the clerk about something. After being threatened, the clerk picked the bottle the customer was going to buy and threatened to hit him over the head with it!

Thomas

Guru

Nothing scary instore, however one of my better finds was in a neighborhood I wouldn't enter after dark.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    If ever there was a thread made for Tony, ACDETROIT, this is it.
    I've been in liquor store all over Detroit. I've never been scared.

There was a time when I'd walk by myself down a back alley in the Cass corridor at 0100 to a party store to get a pack of cigarettes. Perhaps the rats were more intimidating than anything else. I guess that I was the potentially intimidating person back then.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I'm happy to say I've never had a scary liquor store experience.

Every liquor store experience I've had has been glorious.

Virtuoso

I to have been in many (I wouldn't say all) but many Liquor stores in Detroit. Most in neighborhoods many would not go to in the day or night. I'm not a big guy but I try to carry myself well and treat others the way I would expect to be treated. Ran into some crazies, mostly funny, some religious and some just wanting some spare change, though none really harmful.

I have passed stores when I was solo vowing to go back due to the clientele gathered in mass numbers by the front door. I might be a bit crazy but mamma didn't raise no fool!

AC
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Disciple

More sad than scary are two stores that I hunted in that had subsequent robberies with a clerk or owner being shot dead. These were not in bad neighborhoods either. I've hunted in some of the roughest areas in Chicago and not had any real scary experiences (or found much drinkable dusty whiskey in these stores either) but urban common sense is absolutely required. More than four guys standing around the door, bringing paper bags to their mouth means it's not worth the hassle. I've been harassed some in parking lots but my skin color, sport coat attire and driving a dark blue Ford sedan helps in spreading the peace.

My heart once gained a few beats when someone started pounding on my hood and screaming at me while backing my car up, but as I turned my head, it was the clerk from behind the plexiglass, holding a green labelled bottle and bursting with excitement that she had found one with the number 16 on it. Handing over a $20 bill for the $14.99 sticker price was worth conducting the sale right in the lot .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Connoisseur

Buying from a store that was known for bootlegging, when I was barely of age. The owner said the abc man was just by, that to come back tommorow, and you can get what you want. The abc man is what scared me. As a side note, we always said you could send a baby in with 5 bucks and the baby would come out with a six pack and the right change.

Virtuoso

On the way to the Houston gathering last spring I stopped at a Mobile Al. liquor store in a rough section and walked by three guys talking in the parking lot. When I came out one was on the ground bleeding and cops were chasing the other two. They had apparently beat him and took his wallet. Could have been me. I never heard a thing inside the store but someone must have been paying attention as the cops arrived literally within seconds of the event.