Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Taking the Next Turkey Step

Ryan, just buy a bottle. Any bottle. Folks here can give you all kind of "tips" on what are best, which to seek out, which to avoid, which glass to drink it out of, which type of glass, uh, glass you should use....yada, yada, yada. Buy one, form your OWN opinions, and tell us what YOU think. It really only matters to YOU. Anyone else's opinion don't mean doodlysquat. Here's one for ya: I don't like Weller 12...Everyone else, LOVES it...And, I could give a flying F!$$ And, neither should you!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

wripvanwrinkle

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    What Joe is saying that his bottles were purchased shortly after the change to the current neck tag and that he prefers the earlier bottlings in this "batch" to the current ones.
    Joe's words were fresh in my head today. While hunting I was paying special attention to the RB neck tags. At one store, the RB was way up high on the top shelf (near the sealing) against the wall. Hiding behind about 6 RB bottles was an RB tube. With great expectation, I procured a ladder from the propietor. With some difficulty, I finally extracted the tube to find yet another "03" (like Ryan, I have no idea what I was looking for.)

With some dissapointment I returned it to the shelf... It's funny though, that tin still sticks in my head. Maybe there is something to a pretty face.

Enthusiast

Just a quick warning if you haven't tried it yet- Rare breed is full throttle (but awesome)- just so you know.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Ryan, just buy a bottle. Any bottle. Folks here can give you all kind of "tips" on what are best, which to seek out, which to avoid, which glass to drink it out of, which type of glass, uh, glass you should use....yada, yada, yada. Buy one, form your OWN opinions, and tell us what YOU think. It really only matters to YOU. Anyone else's opinion don't mean doodlysquat. Here's one for ya: I don't like Weller 12...Everyone else, LOVES it...And, I could give a flying F!$$ And, neither should you!

Yea, you're right. I'm still fairly new to bourbon at least on a serious level and had been getting to know and learn about a lot of new ones these past few months and just hadn't gotten to this one yet. I didn't know if there was some sort of cream of the crop RB that I should be seeking out so I just never picked any up. It's been long enough though and I need to find out for myself so RB will most likely be the next new bourbon I pick up and hopefully I like it as much as everyone else around here seems to.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by trumpstylz View Post
    Just a quick warning if you haven't tried it yet- Rare breed is full throttle (but awesome)- just so you know.
    Good tip right there.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Like Woodford Reserve in the post-honey-barrel state, I just don't risk it, anymore.
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but how do you know which Woodford Reserve bottles are the honey barrels and which are not?
    Last edited by jcg9779; 04-12-2011 at 11:29.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jcg9779 View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but how do you know which Woodford Reserve bottles are the honey barrels and which are not?
    I beleive Tim is refering to the following: the early bottlings of WR were just "honey barrels" of Old Forester and contained nothing distilled in Versailles whatsoever. Now WR is a mix of Shively and Versailles distillate, to the best of my knowledge anyway. The WRMCs are all Versailles.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog