Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Taking the Next Turkey Step

Quote Originally Posted by chefnash51 View Post
    Rare Breed never disappoints, while others have in the past...
    Yes, it does! Fairly frequently, for me, at least. Now, I've has some excellent Rare Breed. But, it's the exception, in my experience, not the rule. And I find same-numbered 'batches' awfully variable (and long-lasting! -- the same one's been on the shelf here in Middle Tennessee close to 10 years now. It doesn't sell!), too.
    Like Woodford Reserve in the post-honey-barrel state, I just don't risk it, anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by chefnash51 View Post
    ...Hopefully once the stock/supplies build back up we will see WT 12 yr again
    And this, perhaps, is why I tend to 'hate on' Rare Breed. When 12yo WT bourbon can be THIS GOOD by itself, why is God's Creation do they ruin it by blending it with vastly-inferior, 6- and 8-year-old whiskey?
    Tim

Connoisseur

WTRB-03 is a pretty unique. Super spicey, not much sweetness to my palate. It's not a traditional bourbon profile as I think of it. Saying that I really enjoy it as a change up whiskey.
    Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns
    They should sell Pappy by the gallon, everyone buys the whole shelf anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT
    I'm wearing a kilt right now...
    I feel like the fat Britney
    P_Elliots word of the day: odacity, coaqulate, preflent

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Yes, it does! Fairly frequently, for me, at least. Now, I've has some excellent Rare Breed. But, it's the exception, in my experience, not the rule. And I find same-numbered 'batches' awfully variable (and long-lasting! -- the same one's been on the shelf here in Middle Tennessee close to 10 years now. It doesn't sell!), too.
    Like Woodford Reserve in the post-honey-barrel state, I just don't risk it, anymore.

And this, perhaps, is why I tend to 'hate on' Rare Breed. When 12yo WT bourbon can be THIS GOOD by itself, why is God's Creation do they ruin it by blending it with vastly-inferior, 6- and 8-year-old whiskey?
    There is still so much 03 RB stuck to the shelves around here too that I do believe it is inevitable to join the cockroach in being there at the end. There must have been a purposeful decision to really ramp up the production and apparently miscalculated. Never had the 03 as I have enough mid 90's which I find very good but Tim's point is well taken considering the superiority of the extinct ten year RR 101.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Virtuoso

I was under the impression that they quit using batch numbers with the 03. It doesn't seem possible that they had enough aged stock to put out that much at once.

I had a mini of RB that was an order of magnitude better than the current fifth that I have in my cabinet. I don't think there was a batch number on the mini... even if there was it is long gone.

In terms of quality, the mini was to the current RB as the current RB is to the standard 101. Really. I still like and recommend RB, but I wouldn't mind seeing a 12 year (hell even an 8 year) back on the shelf.

Guru

All the 03RB's that I own are old ones (and good ones). I do not buy the newer bottles.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Guru

Still got some of the Rye 101 that I intend to revisit.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    All the 03RB's that I own are old ones (and good ones). I do not buy the newer bottles.
    Joe
    What exactly is the difference in the various 03s and how do I tell the difference based on bottle numbers?

I've yet to ever try WTRB. I see so much on the shelves and its all 03. I typically check just to see if there is older stuff even though I have no idea which is better or if I like any of it. I just see so much 03 that it doesnt seem like a must buy anytime soon as it seems like it will be around for years to come. I would like to try some but would like to get the best available.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RyanL View Post
    What exactly is the difference in the various 03s and how do I tell the difference based on bottle numbers?

I've yet to ever try WTRB. I see so much on the shelves and its all 03. I typically check just to see if there is older stuff even though I have no idea which is better or if I like any of it. I just see so much 03 that it doesnt seem like a must buy anytime soon as it seems like it will be around for years to come. I would like to try some but would like to get the best available.
    Get the 03s. Seriously. Even the current ones are better than some of the late 1990s bottles. Don't hold out for a holy grail at the cost of enjoying some of the best bourbon on the market right now.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Get the 03s. Seriously. Even the current ones are better than some of the late 1990s bottles. Don't hold out for a holy grail at the cost of enjoying some of the best bourbon on the market right now.
    OK, I'll definitely get some but I'm still trying to discern what the following means.

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    Joe

Are there multiple 03 releases? If so how do I tell the difference between the older/better ones and the newer bottles?

Trippah and Admin

The "batch" identifier on the neck tag has not changed in a long time, so even though it says "03" on it there's no way it means that the bourbon in the bottle was blended in 2003.

What Joe is saying that his bottles were purchased shortly after the change to the current neck tag and that he prefers the earlier bottlings in this "batch" to the current ones.

Since taste is subjective and you have no reference point, just jump in and buy one. I agree with Josh that it is some darn good bourbon.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?