Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New In Chi-Town

Advanced Taster

New In Chi-Town

Howdy all,

I've been lurking for about two months now. Found this forum after deciding to get serious(er) about bourbon, and I have to say, it has been a remarkable resource so far.

Just two months in to my bourbon obsession, I've already been down to Kentucky for distillery and warehouse tours (thanks to this forum, I learned about the amazing Four Roses warehouse tour, about which I will eventually post), hosted an epic tasting w/ friends (yeah, 9 was too much, but everyone chipped in to foot the bill and I got the leftovers!), and have tentatively started dusty hunting. Just this week I found some OC12 from 95 and some old label OWA 107 and Special Reserve from about the same era (I think). Not super-rare finds but nevertheless gave me a taste of how fun the hunt can be. My fiancee has so far begrudgingly tolerated my newfound desire to stop at sketchy liquor stores on the south and west sides ...

The best thing I've picked up has been an appreciation for a wider spectrum of bourbons, both in terms of price point and flavor profile. I love me some VOB BIB but am also starting to understand what's great about the various BTAC bottlings and the various Pappys.

The second best thing has been a validation of my anti-Beam leanings. It's great to know the range of opinions on particular products and get a sense of how individual members' palates align with mine.

The third best thing is the free pours I now get from bartenders after demonstrating I (kinda) know WTF I'm talking about. Even in Chicago, where I assume we have a more knowledgable bourbon drinking community than most, a slightly better than neophyte level of knowledge really blows bartenders minds. Yes, I will take that free pour of Pappy 15 and the Family Reserve Rye. And I owe it all to you guys.

It's also fun to remember that I met a certain prominent member of this board back in the early 2000s at a pig roast in southern Wisconsin. I had to pry him away from my girlfriend at the time (she's was a "dancer" so I can't really blame him!). He had just finished a book on bourbon, which is why I remember ...

These days I'm enjoying a couple bottles of Binny's Four Roses Single Barrel (OBSK and OBSF), the OC12, pretty much any/all the Weller Products, EWSB 2000, VOB BIB, and have gone to Rittenhouse 100 exclusively for mixing. Becoming more aware of bourbon's intricacies has made me more doctrinaire about rye as the go-to for old-school cocktails.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning even more from y'all. Hoping to meet some Chicago area folk who share the obsession. It seems that with all obsessions, when you cross a certain threshold level of knowledge, you can really only converse with people who are above that threshold. To anyone else you're a freak or a crank or a nerd ... there's just no point in having a discussion with people who drink "X and only X" (i.e. MM). I'm a bit intimidated to start posting, but I'm glad to have the opportunity to participate in a discussion with such smart, kind and knowledgable people.

Oh, and since I've listed the benefits of the forum to me so far, I might as well note the downside. Those freaking acronyms drive other people crazy. It's so hard for me -- even now just as a 2 month lurker -- to refer to bourbons without using the shorthand. I've gotten 3 emails in just the last couple of days asking me WTF I'm talking about. There's something about that sort of language that, once imprinted upon the brain, will not go away.

Best,

J

Disciple

Re: New In Chi-Town

Welcome to the forum...it is a great resource for bourbon lovers to learn and share their knowledge!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Guru

Hey J, welcome aboard. Your first post is thoughtful and informative, please favor us with more.

One rule I have for dusty hunting is don't take the girl along. If she goes in with you there are two backs to watch and leaving her in the vehicle, well, you don't want to walk out to see a crowd gathering around it.

Virtuoso

Welcome aboard!

I wish I went out more often so I could get some free whiskey.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Disciple

Welcome aboard!

So Chuck likes "dancers?"

Advanced Taster

Well, White Dog, I don't think she was wearing her government-issued stripper nametag at the time ... so it's totally possible that he was interested in her for her (considerable) intelligence.

I didn't say WHO was the person kindly and non-crotchety-ly hitting on her was ... who is this "Chuck" fella? I plead the 5th.

What's weird is that I remember running over to save her from some dude hitting on her (that happens a lot) so, I butt in, and 10 seconds later we are talking about bourbon and having this great conversation.

It means something to me that this conversation was probably 7 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday because people who are respectful, engaged, and smart just don't come along every day.

Those who like skinny platinum blonde 19 year-old strippers are a little easier to find.

J
    Last edited by LikeItWasSodaPop; 04-05-2011 at 10:32.

Enthusiast

Any Chicago folk attending the World of Whiskies event at Binny's in Lincoln Park this Thursday night? WhiskeyFest sold out before I could even decide whether to go, but this seems like an okay compromise.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    Any Chicago folk attending the World of Whiskies event at Binny's in Lincoln Park this Thursday night? WhiskeyFest sold out before I could even decide whether to go, but this seems like an okay compromise.
    Welcome aboard. Lost Pollito will be helping run/pouring at the event. Ask for Joe, he might be busy but introduce yourself and meet one of the greats in the liquor store business and SB members. TomH (not to be confused with ThomasH) is Chicago folk by way of Indianapolis and told me he was planning to attend. Look for the guy who some say looks like either Jesus, Kenny Rogers, Jerry Garcia or Cpt. Lou Albano. He looks like TomH, with one hell of a bunker, too me . I will probably not be there or at WhiskeyFest due to a long scheduled work activity that interferes but am planning for some major fun in Bardstown two weeks later.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    Hi Steve,
    Welcome aboard. I'll be running around at the event. Look forward to meeting you.

Connoisseur

Hi Steve,

I'll be at Binny's on Thurday along with some other Indy folks. Beside the description above, I'm also pretty easy to identify if I'm wearing a jacket. I don't see to many blue and white Colts jackets when I come visiting to Chicago (actually I'll probably wear a Pacer's jacket since they'll be playing the Bulls in the NBA playoffs at the time - I'm really not shy about my sports wear - I wore a SuperBowl Champion shirt and hat to a party in Chicago the weekend after they beat Chicago in the SB a few years ago).

Tom