Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Taster

Cool New from NoVA/DC/MD

Hello, all!

So, first post here! My name is Mike, and I'm SUPER new to bourbon, though I've had whiskey before (jameson/JD) My first drink ever was actually Jameson, and I didn't really like that so much. No offense to fans of the stuff, but it just came through as kerosene to me.

So, yesterday, I went out and bought a bottle of EW BIB 100p White Label and like it quite well. It is very mellow and not too sweet or sharp. At least to me. I was wondering what others here think of it?

Also, I've been wondering for a while what the general consensus is on Matterly & Moore (Heaven Hill) and Eagle Rare. I've had recommendations on both, but decided to go for the EW at first. All info on good starters in the $20 or less range would be appreciated.

Virtuoso

Re: New from NoVA/DC/MD

IMO the EW BIB for about $12.50 in Va. is a great value.... the best of the 3 you mentioned to my palate.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Enthusiast

welcome to the forum!
    Visit the search for glory in the bottle: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/
    My video reviews http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...16DDF465CBC112

Advanced Taster

Welcome!

I lived in Arlington for a few years and that area will always feel like a second home.

EW BiB is a permanent favorite of mine. It's got a unique flavor, and is loved by several members here. It's also very hard to find outside of the south, so many members never get a chance to taste it.

Another recommendation you'll get with good reason is Very Old Barton, both 90 and 100 proof.

And I think George Dickel 12 (parchment label), while not technically a true bourbon (labelling laws being what they are) is basically a delicious <$20 Tennessee bourbon with much to recommend it.

It's common, on these forums, to leap up into the expensive whiskies before you're educated yourself. There's a lot of great bourbon down around knee-height. Fish through the miniatures at the liquore store, take home a dozen, and do some tastings in a quiet environment. Buy slowly, buy what you've tasted, buy what you truly like.

Enjoy!
    Gotta make it somehow on the dreams you still believe...

Virtuoso

Hi there and welcome. You'll find so many varying degrees of opinions on here that your head will spin . I can't say what I think of EW BIB because I can't get it here (Ohio), but I do like EW black label. I also really like Eagle Rare quite a bit. There are some here that don't care for it much, but that's what keeps things interesting. Enjoy your time here and keep on experimenting with different Bourbons.

Taster

Thanks, Flint! That helps a lot.
    Unfortunately, the minis around here are a bit limited to vodka and rum, with the only whiskey entry being JD which I know I'm not fond of.

Having been in VA have you tried Virginia Gentleman? I'm curious and might go grab a small bottle of it should it be deemed worthy.

I've noticed that folks here seem to jump prices rather quickly, but I can't afford to do that. For now, I'm content to spend about $40 a month to try 2-3 different options. Slowly, but surely.
    "They say some of my stars drink whiskey. But I have found that the ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games." - Casey Stengal

Connoisseur

Greetings, Photodudems, Welcome aboard!

I wish I could get EW BIB: I like the 86 well enough (though I think liked it more pre-NAS).
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Taster

I don't really have anything to compare it too, but I like it. Very smooth and not too sharp. This may not be the proper term, but I also find it creamy. Almost like Bailey's. Good stuff, and a pleasant introduction to bourbon.
    "They say some of my stars drink whiskey. But I have found that the ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games." - Casey Stengal