Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chivas Regal?

Advanced Taster

Re: Chivas Regal?

Quote Originally Posted by bgast1 View Post
    At $30.00+ Johnny Walker Black is beyond my price range for something that I might consider drinking every day. But then I could skip a few days and savor it all the more.
    I've had very good luck w/ Johnny Walker Black. You can enjoy it neat, on the rocks, as a scotch and soda or in a Godfather, an ambrosial cocktail (scotch + amaretto)...a very versatile product.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Robmo View Post
    I've had very good luck w/ Johnny Walker Black. You can enjoy it neat, on the rocks, as a scotch and soda or in a Godfather, an ambrosial cocktail (scotch + amaretto)...a very versatile product.
    There is a new release out there called Johnny Walker Double Black. I had the chance to taste this. Diageo who owns JW says it's peatier and aged in deeply charred casks. It was smoother than the regular Black Label. It costs a little bit more but not that much.

http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/jo...oubleblack.htm

Virtuoso

Dewar's 12 is a decent pour, IMO.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by LeoDLion View Post
    There is a new release out there called Johnny Walker Double Black. I had the chance to taste this. Diageo who owns JW says it's peatier and aged in deeply charred casks. It was smoother than the regular Black Label. It costs a little bit more but not that much.

http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/jo...oubleblack.htm
    Double Black, eh? Seems like Diageo is applying the same strategy they used for Crown Royal Black: more robust taste, and a dark colour we are supposed to attribute to the charred casks. Interesting that they dropped the age statement. Still, I'd like to try it. Crown Royal Black is pretty decent in my opinion.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Double Black, eh? Seems like Diageo is applying the same strategy they used for Crown Royal Black: more robust taste, and a dark colour we are supposed to attribute to the charred casks. Interesting that they dropped the age statement. Still, I'd like to try it. Crown Royal Black is pretty decent in my opinion.
    Scotch regulation allows coloring agents, so they could just be making it darker. If they've upped the Talisker content it could be interesting.

Back on topic, so it's not generally accepted that Chivas is the Maker's Mark of Scotch?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    Scotch regulation allows coloring agents, so they could just be making it darker. If they've upped the Talisker content it could be interesting.

Back on topic, so it's not generally accepted that Chivas is the Maker's Mark of Scotch?
    No, they did not add coloring and sell it for 15 to 20% more than the regular Black label.

The Double Black has some heavily-pealt malts and aged in deeply charred oak casks. They did not say what malt component were added but it must be one of the peated ones perhaps from Islay.

Anyway its a test product. Dont know if they will go ahead and market it.

Virtuoso

No, they did not add coloring and sell it for 15 to 20% more than the regular Black label.
    On what are you basing the claim that they haven't added more E150A caramel color? They say that they are using heavily charred (but, I assume, used) barrels, but they don't claim that all the color difference comes from that, unless there's some source other than that press release.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    On what are you basing the claim that they haven't added more E150A caramel color? They say that they are using heavily charred (but, I assume, used) barrels, but they don't claim that all the color difference comes from that, unless there's some source other than that press release.
    Because there was nothing in the marketing brochure that said they added color. And that by using heavily charred oak barrels this will impart a deeper golden color to the whisky. They did not say how long it was aged but given enough time that is what it will do.

And it is illogical and impractical that they would add color only and hike the price by 20%. Don't you think so? The more important thing is the component of the whisky seem to suggest that they are using peatier single malts compare to the regular Black Label. But I have not seen or read what precisely those are.

BTW, I hope you don't think that a JW Double Black is twice as dark as the regular Black and that is why you started talking about color? It has nothing to do with being dark or twice as black. I think they mean twice as good as the Black label.
    Last edited by LeoDLion; 06-08-2011 at 20:45.

Connoisseur

Anyway its a test product. Dont know if they will go ahead and market it.
    I would think its now moved beyond test market status. It's been in the travel retail (duty free) stores for almost a year now and its currently being introduced in the US (at least Binny's has announced it). I would assume (always dangerous I know) that the travel retail was the "test" and now they're going live.

BTW, you have a much higher opinion of Diageo than I do. I don't believe there is any relationship to the price increase vs caramel use in their minds. If they think a darker color will influence sells they will add it. Also if they have decided to market it at a 20% premium to JWB, thats a significant increase over their travel retail pricing if I remember correctly (of course that observation is limited to the store where I purchased it and their could have tested different pricing in different stores).

Tom

Virtuoso

Because there was nothing in the marketing brochure that said they added color.
    Added color is not something that Scotch producers like to talk about in any capacity, let alone in a marketing piece.

And it is illogical and impractical that they would add color only and hike the price by 20%. Don't you think so?
    It's Diageo, logic doesn't apply. And, don't give them any ideas!

The more important thing is the component of the whisky seem to suggest that they are using peatier single malts compare to the regular Black Label. But I have not seen or read what precisely those are.
    The foundational peated malts in JW are Talisker and Caol Ila, so presumably they are using them in higher ratio. Also the fact that this blend won't have an age statement leads me to believe that they would be using younger stocks of the peated malts, given that the peat flavor softens considerably with age. If I had to guess I would say that they would keep using older Speysiders and grain stocks to maintain the balance and smooth mouthfeel that JW Black is known for, while taking advantage of the vibrancy of somewhat younger peated stock.

I think they mean twice as good as the Black label.
    I don't think anyone believes that, JWB is one of the best blends on the market.