Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chivas Regal?

Advanced Taster

Re: Chivas Regal?

I have tasted it in Asia when a friend brought it, probably in China since he is doing some contract work there. The Double Black is subtle and smoother than the regular Black. The one he brought is in a liter bottle. I have not seen it in the local store but when they do sell it I will try it.

I can not remember if its darkier in color but I think it is not.
    Last edited by LeoDLion; 06-09-2011 at 08:32.

Connoisseur

Leo, I think you have misunderstood some posts here. No one is suggesting that all they did is add colour and up the price. I'm not even sure if it is darker than regular JW because I have only seen pictures. I was basing my assumptions on another new Diageo product, Crown Royal Black. The marketing is the same: deeply charred barrels, more robust taste, 20% higher price, and in the case of Crown Royal, much darker colour. They don't state that the colour is due to the casks alone but they definitely imply it, and I don't buy it for a second. Why? Because it's almost as dark as Coca Cola.

But I like Crown Royal Black, and I'll buy it again. I think the higher price is justified by the taste and higher alcohol.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Leo, I think you have misunderstood some posts here. No one is suggesting that all they did is add colour and up the price. I'm not even sure if it is darker than regular JW because I have only seen pictures. I was basing my assumptions on another new Diageo product, Crown Royal Black. The marketing is the same: deeply charred barrels, more robust taste, 20% higher price, and in the case of Crown Royal, much darker colour. They don't state that the colour is due to the casks alone but they definitely imply it, and I don't buy it for a second. Why? Because it's almost as dark as Coca Cola.

But I like Crown Royal Black, and I'll buy it again. I think the higher price is justified by the taste and higher alcohol.
    You are right. I thought that is what is being suggested which does not make sense to me. But like I said I don't remember the Double Black being that darker than the regular Black. Personally I don't like my whisky to be dark. For rhum yes.

It is true that some distilleries and perhaps bottlers add color to their product. Perhaps if the whisky is quite pale I understand the reason of coloring it to make it look more robust. And if they do they will not advertise it. But I don't like colored whisky.
    Last edited by LeoDLion; 06-10-2011 at 05:35.

Virtuoso

For what it's worth, some distillers claim that a little caramel actually helps integrate the various casks, flavor-wise, so that's another possible reason for E-150 beyond just visual aesthetics. At any rate it is pretty common with scotch.

When you say that the Double Black is "subtle and smoother" than the standard JWB, what does that mean? Can you elaborate? That seems like the opposite of what they said they were going for.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I have a bottle of Chivas 12 yr that was gifted to me, and I just have not been able to get into it. I much prefer JW Black for my Dark Side Blend Attacks...The Chivas just seems one-dimensionally sweet. Drinkable, but it doesn't get in my wheelhouse.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    For what it's worth, some distillers claim that a little caramel actually helps integrate the various casks, flavor-wise, so that's another possible reason for E-150 beyond just visual aesthetics. At any rate it is pretty common with scotch.

When you say that the Double Black is "subtle and smoother" than the standard JWB, what does that mean? Can you elaborate? That seems like the opposite of what they said they were going for.
    My impression with the Double Black is that you are drinking a 15 to 18 year old whisky as oppose to a 12 year old which a regular black is. It has a smoother taste. The color is just about the same. There is a hint of peat but not as much as one of the Islay whiskies.

When you get your bottle post your tasting notes here and lets compare.

Again on the subject of caramel coloring, I don't agree that "its a pretty common practise with scotches". If you can compile a list of at least 50 scotches where color is added, you win the argument. Remember that a bottler may add color to one product release but not on the others.

The practise of adding coloring is being phase out from what I heard. This tells me that the majority of whisky consumer don't like color added to the whisky. I don't like coloring added. But the bottler does not have to put that on the label except for some countries like Denmark and Germany. Some dislike it because it adds sweetness or also bitterness to the product.
    Last edited by LeoDLion; 06-11-2011 at 06:22.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by LeoDLion View Post
    Again on the subject of caramel coloring, I don't agree that "its a pretty common practise with scotches". If you can compile a list of at least 50 scotches where color is added, you win the argument. Remember that a bottler may add color to one product release but not on the others.
    Since they are not required to disclose the use of caramel color, that's not possible.

A better test would be to compile a list of fifty scotches which the producers claim are free of caramel color.

Connoisseur

It is absolutely a common practice with Scotch whisky to add colouring. Only a handful of blends are colour-free (Mac Namara comes to mind). Even expensive malts like Lagavulin have colouring (except the cask-strength version, which clearly states otherwise on the bottle).

The idea is that the "average consumer" doesn't actually know a lot about whisky. They attribute dark colour to richer taste, greater age, higher quality, whatever. Case in point: I brought a bottle of The Arran Malt 10 year old to my friend's house. As soon as I presented it everyone present exclaimed, "Wow, look how light it is!" It struck them as strange, that whisky could be so light. When I told them, "This is how whisky looks when you don't add colouring," they were surprised because they didn't know this is a common practice. The distilleries are just playing to customer's expectations.

I do hope this is starting to change, though.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The point about added coloring is that you can't evaluate scotch by its color because they can, and do, make it whatever color they want it to be through the addition of caramel coloring. This is well established, legal, and uncontested if not exactly uncontroversial. When evaluating scotch, you have to take appearance out of the equation. American straight whiskey, on the other hand, permits no added coloring so the color means something. With scotch it doesn't. Presumably the way this product is made will lead it to be darker but if the makers didn't think it was quite dark enough for the impression they sought, they could adjust accordingly.

Connoisseur

OK, this thread finally got the best of my curiosity so I headed to the basement and pulled a bottle of Double Black. There is a color difference but it is VERY slight. I'm not sure I would really pick up on it unless I examined them side by side. As LeoDLion stated, it is much softer and smoother than the standard JWB. It does have peat, but again not in your face peat. IMHO, Diageo may have reduced the Talisker component and used more Caol Ila in the double black. Going have to spend a little time with it to see where it falls in my JW favorites.

Tom