Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Sam Houston Whiskey, not Bourbon

I just tried a sample of Sam Houston Whiskey, not the bourbon. It comes in a taller bottle with a blue label. Very smooth taste.
    The store I was at will have some next week to purchase, but I cannot seem to find any info online. It is from Kentucky, but I did not read the label closer to see a distiller.
    Any ideas about this?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Sam Houston Whiskey, not Bourbon

The Sam Houston brand is McLain & Kyne, which is part of Castle Brands, and the Zoeller family, father Chet and son Trey, are the folks behind it. Same folks as Jefferson's. They are a marketing company, not a distiller or even a bottler. The pictures they show of 'their' distillery are actually of KBD/Willett which, of course, is not a functioning distillery either but a broker and bottler, aka non-distiller producer (NDP). KBD has done bottling for M&K, but so has LDI. As for what the product is or who made it, that's anyone's guess.

Advanced Taster

I've been wondering about this product since it showed up on the MI LCC price sheet. They list the vendor as Western Spirits Bev. It also starts out at $27.94 which seems pretty steep to me.

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/lcc_code...asp?code=07636
    Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough. - Mark Twain.

Enthusiast

Chuck,
    Thanks for the quick reply. Also I just got my first Bourbon Country Reader from you. Great reading.
    Gregg

Enthusiast

Just saw this pop up at a local store. $37, too much for me without any idea of where it came from.
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Connoisseur

I thought that Castle Brands sold the Sam Houston brand about a year or so ago. I know Chet said he was no longer associated with the brand.

Mike Veach

I just got the same information, that Castle sold the Houston brand and Jefferson's is their sole bourbon product, but I haven't been able to find out who they Houston to.

It's funny that you can appropriate the name of an historical figure for a product (I'm sure they didn't consult Sam Houston's descendants) and then sell the name to someone else. I guess the rationale is that they developed value in it as a brand of whiskey.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I just got the same information, that Castle sold the Houston brand and Jefferson's is their sole bourbon product, but I haven't been able to find out who they Houston to.

It's funny that you can appropriate the name of an historical figure for a product (I'm sure they didn't consult Sam Houston's descendants) and then sell the name to someone else. I guess the rationale is that they developed value in it as a brand of whiskey.
    Sam Houston is pretty important person in history context here in Texas, so my guess would be they are going after Texas market (of note - gburger is from Austin, TX)

The only reason to buy the existing brand as opposed to starting a new one with the same name would be if they wanted the existing base of business which, you're right, is probably in Texas.

Guru

Saw this for the first time yesterday at the Party Source. The bottle comes in one of those (IMO) pretentious cardboard "cans" so little product info was visible. Seemed to be too much trouble to put down what I was holding and wrestle one open....
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."