I used to drink all of my bourbon out of a Glencairn glass but have switched over to a nice Four Roses glass that came with a gift set a few years back. Because I drink virtually all my whiskey neat, I prefer a smaller glass, as I have no need to make room for ice.
"I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet
I've tried them all but still prefer a brandy snifter.
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch
"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"
The golfers one seems to be the most logical. I really have no need for 12 but....
My favorite WAS a brandy snifter (wife broke it awhile back and I have replaced it yet)... Post-break, various tumblers (one of my favs is from a Rare Breed gift set) when I drink bourbon on the rocks, otherwise Glencairn.
As I burrowed through my glass cabinet, and began pulling out my favorite “go-to” glasses, I came out with the following (pictured below). In general, I find that I prefer the smallish (8oz), squatty, cheap (most were either picked up at Sampler, or taken from Hotels ), and those that offer a good grip. :
1. Reidel Bourbon Glass: The only one I actually purchased. It’s my high-fallutin’ “Special Occasion Glass”, or my, “I’z a perfessional taster glass”
2. Hilton Hotel Bathroom Glass: Lifted from various Hilton’s throughout the country. Dang nice, and at the right price.
3. Buffalo Trace Glass: From previous Samplers. Similar to the Hilton glasses, but the raised /embossed buffalo gives a great grip.
4. Chateau Elan Resort Bathroom Glass: Lifted from Chateau Elan Winery Resort. Nice noser, smallish, and again, a great price.
5. Elijah Craig Glass: Another Sampler Glass. The wider opening is good if I feel like putting a few ice cubes in.
6. Woodford Reserve Glass: Sampler Glass. Very heavy, short, stout glass. This just has a great feel to it.
7. Bunny Cup: I bring this puppy out when I’m drinkin’ “juice”.
"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama
If I get another glass my wife will have a fit. For me I like several basic styles depending on what I am tasting.... stylized snifter, flared rocks, small rocks and a small "O" style. I have moved away from larger glasses and never have been a fan of the Glencarin.. glass or crystal. Overall I tend to reach mostly for the snifter and the small "O" style.
"The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"