Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Nashville bourbon bar suggestions?

I'm going to be in Nashville visiting family for the weekend. Anyone have any suggestions for a good bar. Hopefully I can drag them in for a drink or 2 after dinner.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Nashville bourbon bar suggestions?

I'd select any of the bars (almost) on the main drag which feature aspiring country bands. Many have a decent bourbon selection, but I'd drink Jack and Coke. It's Nashville!

Gary

The Oak Bar (as part of the Capitol Grille) at the historic Hermitage Hotel, immediately comes to mind, as much for the atmosphere as the drink selection -- which will be the case in virtually EVERY Nashville bar.
    http://www.capitolgrillenashville.com/homepage.aspx
    The hotel itself is built on the site of the former 'Polk Place', the short-term home of 11th President James K. Polk (who grew up here in Columbia, by the way; and remains the ONLY president ever to have fulfilled ALL the enumerated 'promises' in his inaugural address). He died during a cholera outbreak just months after returning to Nashville from the White House in 1849 (interestingly, he was first buried in a mass grave for the epidemic's victims, later to be disinterred and reburied at his home -- only to be dug up once again and re-interred on the nearby state capitol grounds, where he finally found permanent rest).
    You'll find decent selection in almost any respectable bar, because we get almost as good distribution as next-door Kentucky -- and even the blind pigs will find the truffles once in a while. But, face it -- most locals and visitors know and recognize Jack Daniel's as THE whiskey product from this area, so everything else is essentially an afterthought.
    I'd also hit Big River on lower Broadway near the Cumberland River. It has its own (Gordon Biersch-affiliated) micro-brewery as well, and their single-price sampler of products proved tasty the last time I tried it, and was very reasonably priced. Growlers available, too.
    http://gbarchive.gordonbiersch.com/r...eermat0111.pdf
    Tim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    I'd also hit Big River on lower Broadway near the Cumberland River. It has its own (Gordon Biersch-affiliated) micro-brewery as well, and their single-price sampler of products proved tasty the last time I tried it, and was very reasonably priced. Growlers available, too.
    http://gbarchive.gordonbiersch.com/r...eermat0111.pdf
    One of my favorite places Tim. If you go there try the "Sweet Magnolia Ale". Awesome stuff.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Enthusiast

The best bourbon bar is Patterson House in Nashville. Go early as there is usually a wait. They offer 40+ different bourbons to include Pappy, A.H. Hirsch 16, Rittenhouse 23, and many others. They also hand make their own cocktails with fresh ingredients, No mixers. The wives really enjoy them. Try the doughnuts for something sweet or the tater tots fried in duck fat as an app. On the unusual side try the bacon infused buorbon. They also have a sister restaurant/bar on the strip but the name slips me now. Similar food and same bourbon selection. It was written up in Garden and Gun mag. I visit Nashville frequently and this is my favorite well. tim

Quote Originally Posted by docbible View Post
    The best bourbon bar is Patterson House in Nashville. Go early as there is usually a wait...
    Is this the place with the unmarked entrance and 'speak-easy' feel to it I've heard about? I'd wanted to go, but haven't thought of it recently...
    Tim

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Is this the place with the unmarked entrance and 'speak-easy' feel to it I've heard about? I'd wanted to go, but haven't thought of it recently...
    That's the one! Great place.

Disciple

It isn't a bourbon bar, but Corsair Artisan Distillery does have a location in Nashville. In addition to mashing and distilling there, they also operate a beer taproom W-Sa evening with 16 different micro brews on tap.

Disclosure: I work at the Bowling Green location for Corsair.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Enthusiast

That is the one Tim.

Advanced Taster

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Not sure I'll have time but good to have some options if I do.