Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Does the ‘perfect’ bourbon exist? Buffalo Trace's quest for "The Holy Grail".

Interesting concept and I can appreciate what they are trying to do in their quest to find the perfect bourbon. However, this feels like a pretty gimmicky way to sell lots of 10 year old bourbon(saw something about 8 years too so 8-10 years, I don't even know) at fairly jacked up prices. They are trying to get customers to buy as many different ones as they can afford/find and rate them and that's fine but at $46(SRP) per 375ml bottle it seems more about making money than truly trying to get everyone to taste several different ones. I personally can't see myself buying any of this unless I went to a tasting and a certain one just blew me away. I hope good things come of this and they are able to make a nearly perfect bourbon somewhere down the road. I guess I'll just have to wait to taste it though when that day actually comes.

Advanced Taster

Re: Does the ‘perfect’ bourbon exist? Buffalo Trace's quest for "The Holy Grail".

So lets see here, in effort to be able to "interact" and "compare" and more imporantly "earn points" (oh goodie! points!) I'm gonna probably want to buy all 192 of these suckers right? Hmm, maybe some math is in order

192 styles x $46.35 = $8,899.20

Haha, who am I kidding?!?! There is no way these BTECs in disguise will go for $46.35. Maybe this is more accurate:

192 styles x $75 = $14,400

Start saving your pennies now bourbonites!!! Smells like the Diageo Managers’ Choice whiskeys that have gone over so well in the enthusiast community.... Hell, I guess it is cheaper than a couple of cases of PWV15 though! Hahaha, am I right fellas?!?!?!

Oh, and BTW, I would be stoked about the lower barrel entry proof if that meant it was actually distilled out to that proof instead of being watered down to 105 before barrel entry. Chuck can you get a clarification on this?
    Last edited by fussychicken; 04-28-2011 at 23:29.
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Entry proof is entry proof. No change of distillation proof.

Trees are usually 75-100 years old so these are a little older.

Quantities are too small for them to make a lot of money. Marketing intent here is mostly about buzz.

Connoisseur
    Was anxiously awaiting your post Chuck. Thanks for the link.

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Neat View Post
    for the nite owls out there: bt's press release detailing the first release (what barrels, availability and price) is already out: http://www.singleoakproject.com/uplo...ak-Project.pdf
    Interesting idea... I like the shotgun approach to be able to identify the effects of variables, but I think too much emphasis has been placed on the specific tree. There are so many other variations I would like to see played out (like more variance with mashbills or a couple options with barrel proof). They mentioned different warehouses, but no talk of the how warehouse location could affect thing.

To me, the specific tree is the one variable that you can't duplicate. Sure you might get a honey barrel, but how will the aspects that made that barrel be identified and repeated (beyond ring count and top v. bottom).

I love the vast experimentation in order to find winning combinations, but at the end of the day I think the variables that can be duplicated are taking a backseat to the single tree novelty.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Advanced Taster

I've just been re-watching Lord of the Rings, so the whole Two Towers sequence with the talking trees -- the Ents! -- takes on a lot of meaning here.

I agree with the poster above that the single tree stuff is a mis-step. I got a little bitchy when someone suggested (in my thread about the worst bourbon I've ever tasted) that there is no such thing as bad whiskey. I think that's bullshit. But the idea of "perfection" rankles me to the core. I do really respect the BT experiments as a formal matter, and I really like the idea of getting people to discuss them and evaluate them.

There's this weird thing ... would you rather discover "perfection" or be told that something is "perfect"? I think the beauty of this forum is in the discovery. I love Four Roses Marriage 2008. It sort of smells like my grandmother's basement. The effects -- on me, and me alone -- are magical. I could honestly give one half of one shit what anyone thinks about this bourbon. It is, next to PVW 15, my favorite. If you don't like it, I don't really care. So the idea of "perfection," which really just connotes "consensus" is really stupid.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by LikeItWasSodaPop View Post

There's this weird thing ... would you rather discover "perfection" or be told that something is "perfect"? [...] So the idea of "perfection," which really just connotes "consensus" is really stupid.
    I respect BT's willingness to try crazy stuff - it's only through the what-ifs that potentially new and serendipitous things are found. And I won't begrudge them their right to sell those as limited releases (in some cases, of course, wishing we'd see more out west). But I think you're right - this really seems to point more in the direction of being something that could be marketed as "the bourbon drinker's bourbon" or "america's favorite bourbon" or something, since it seems to be based upon consensus.

I don't think I could think of a one-size-fits-all, always-right bourbon (or for that matter, *any* drink, alcoholic or not). In that regard I think this will shake out a pretty good bourbon but sometimes I want black cherries and dark fruits, sometimes I want wood, sometimes I want rye spice, sometimes I want wheat mellowness.

It kind of smacks of those discussions I have with fellow musicians - "xyz performance was more accomplished and was technically flawless but I prefer abc".

One could argue this could wind up producing a semi-bland, focus-grouped result.

wripvanwrinkle

I think that the entire emphasis upon the "perfect"/"holy grail" aspects of this exercise are overstated. At best this is an attempt to quantify the importance of a set of variables. At the worst, it is nothing more than a marketing stunt. This is exactly the kind of spectacle that ensues when the ideas of a few geeks find their way into the capitalizing hands of product marketers.

Personally, I view this as an interesting release of some fairly expensive single barrels. I look forward to comparing my notes with others.

As for anyone that is seriously considering trying them all...more power to them. I can't wait for the inevitable hunting for that one "must have" honey barrel though.
    Last edited by wripvanwrinkle; 04-29-2011 at 15:43. Reason: Edit: Spelling

Enthusiast

I see this as an opportunity for good whiskey bars. I tend to think that being able to offer a "flight" of these bourbons in small pours could be hugely popular.

As to buying my own bottle, though, I'm not so sure. I haven't jumped on the BTEC wagon for that reason. I think this is one of those, "I'd sure like to try it, but I can't bring to buy it for myself" kind of things.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by dmarkle View Post
    I see this as an opportunity for good whiskey bars. I tend to think that being able to offer a "flight" of these bourbons in small pours could be hugely popular.

As to buying my own bottle, though, I'm not so sure. I haven't jumped on the BTEC wagon for that reason. I think this is one of those, "I'd sure like to try it, but I can't bring to buy it for myself" kind of things.
    Turn it upside down. What if it was made available solely through 2oz samples, say $4 per, pre-buy as many as you want, mail order only?