Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Does the ‘perfect’ bourbon exist? Buffalo Trace's quest for "The Holy Grail".

Anyone know what the abv is on these or is that one of the variables?

Trippah and Admin

Re: Does the ‘perfect’ bourbon exist? Buffalo Trace's quest for "The Holy Grail".

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Anyone know what the abv is on these or is that one of the variables?
    It appears that they are all 90 proof.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    For me personally, this is too complicated. I mean, I really appreciate that this sort of investigation and experimentation and innovation is going on, but I'd rather that it happen behind closed doors...
    But 192 bottles with 7 variables or whatever?..It sort of overwhelms me, and does not fill me with fervor to rush out and start buying up these $70 experiments.
    Quote Originally Posted by fussychicken View Post
    ...I call BS. This "project" shows BT's total lack of understanding of how their limited offerings are distributed and sold...
    Yeah, that's kinda where I am, too. Even at a dozen or so releases at a time.
    If I 'get' the notion of these offerings, they're 'single tree'-barreled whiskeys. Is this right, or not?
    If so, well, then how can they ever duplicate the one I love? I mean, THAT TREE is already used up! And, if they're going to tell me, "Well, we can find another tree just like that one!", they aren't really all that unique, then, are they?
    If these types of experiments add to the distillery institution's knowledge, great -- I'm all for 'em! But, as a commercial offering, it's just a gimmick to get some return on research. They could probably do just as well -- opinion- and substance-wise -- selling the barrel to the KBS. Consumers will only be teased so long before they just shrug and give up. (I did that after just two releases of the BTEC.)
    Tim

Guru

I think it's a very cool idea. I think the criticisms have a little validity, but I think the whole project would lend itself well to group tastings like those at the gazebo or at other gatherings. It's all about figuring out how the aging magic happens.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

I'm gonna say it again. All they have to do is make Weller Centennial again. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I think it's a very cool idea. I think the criticisms have a little validity, but I think the whole project would lend itself well to group tastings like those at the gazebo or at other gatherings. It's all about figuring out how the aging magic happens.
    Yes, and that is great for a community like this one that can organize a get together/tasting of 12 or more different ones but for a single individual that isn't wealthy he will probably never taste more than 2 or 3 of these tops(out of all 192). That is about 1-1.5% of their release that will be tasted by your every day bourbon drinker. It just seems like a 100ml 12 bottle set or something similar would have been the way to go for at least some of the release if not all of it. Assuming they are really trying to accomplish what they say they are.

Virtuoso

In a nutshell: Cool project... but needs to be released in multi-sample packs to truly make it worthwhile.

I would love to participate, but if I can't compare barrels to barrels, then any ratings/notes will be meaningless.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

The perfect bourbon does exist! It's the one in my glass.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    I'm gonna say it again. All they have to do is make Weller Centennial again. Joe

Yes, I thought the perfect bourbon was already made... and they killed it
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by chefnash51 View Post
    Yes, I thought the perfect bourbon was already made... and they killed it
    Get this man an IBS shirt quick!

(Illinois Bourbon Society)
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination