Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Trippah and Admin

Re: Does the ‘perfect’ bourbon exist? Buffalo Trace's quest for "The Holy Grail".

FWIW, I was quoted a price of 55 and change per bottle and I am comfortable with that considering the effort that BT has put into the product. That's also what I paid for my recent BTEC bottles.

If your local retailer jacks the price up, you know where to complain. If my source is comfortable with that margin, others are gouging.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Does the ‘perfect’ bourbon exist? Buffalo Trace's quest for "The Holy Grail".

Buffalo Trace says they don't like it when retailers jack up the price and they do what they can to avoid it. No reason to doubt them, as they don't see a penny of the mark-up.

But I wouldn't be so sure this will go like that. I'm not sure people will know what to make of this. It doesn't have the usual markers of something people have to have, like extra age or extra proof. It's not even something exotic like the other experimentals. Unless you're into the project, it's just ordinary 8-year-old, 90 proof bourbon. For that you expect to pay $25-$30/750 ml, not $46.35/375 ml.

So the suggested retail might hold and the eBay pirates may be disappointed. Remember, although there will only be 400 cases, the second release of 400 cases will drop in August, the third in November, and so on.
    Last edited by cowdery; 05-05-2011 at 14:12.

Guru

I never bought any of the BTEC stuff and I won't buy this. The market is already saturated with overpriced bourbons IMO.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Remember, although there will only be 400 cases, the second release of 400 cases will drop in August, the third in November, and so on.
    That's a really good point. Are people really going to be rushing to get all 12 bottles every three months for the next few years. I wouldn't be surprised if some of this stuff sat on the shelf. Though, I guess people rush to get the Pappys every time there is a release.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    I never bought any of the BTEC stuff and I won't buy this. The market is already saturated with overpriced bourbons IMO.
    Joe
    I agree with the second part. The first part though is convincing me that I have a case of "bourbon dissonance".

Bourbon Dissonance...... the new Nervosa!
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Disciple

I am looking forward to this, although I echo the comments that packaging them as a "sampler" would have been better. I suspect that the average taster (most of us) will not give feedback, and the feedback received will be ignored unless there is a very strong reaction. I would guess the experiment was lined up for a few internal and a few external tasters to give comments, in hopes that BT would learn something. The fact that it's shared with the consumer is 100% marketing, not part of the experiment.

Connoisseur
    Update by John Hansell: http://www.whatdoesjohnknow.com/2011...roject-part-1/

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Taster

John has tasted them all? I wish I were John

Advanced Taster

This sounds like an awesome project, right up my alley. I love seeing how different variables affect the taste and in what way - and I would be interested in getting as many bottles as I could... at a decent price. However, at $46 for a pint, all of a sudden I don't care anymore.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ODaniel View Post
    This sounds like an awesome project, right up my alley. I love seeing how different variables affect the taste and in what way - and I would be interested in getting as many bottles as I could... at a decent price. However, at $46 for a pint, all of a sudden I don't care anymore.
    The price is rough. In order to collect all of these, you're looking at almost 10k dollars for 375's.