Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Hi, new to bourbon

I just posted in the wrong area to get started. I posted in General bourbon area. Moderators please move it if you feel so inclined. Either way I will be doing a lot of reading here. Great forum you have here. It's taken me 30 years to all of the sudden develop a taste for whiskey. I'll turn 60 in a couple of months.

Bob

Advanced Taster

Re: Hi, new to bourbon

Welcome Bob. We have a wide age range here, so no worries. I am on the younger end, but no worries, we all like whisk(e)y. What kind of bourbon have you enjoyed thus far?
    -Andy

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude

Taster

So far just Maker's Mark. I've had Jack Daniels, Gentleman Jack, Wild Turkey, Ten High but never bothered to taste them or really enjoy them. In my other post, I mentioned also wanting to branch out a bit and try some Scotch. I just picked up a miniature of Famous Grouse 12 year.

I am probably certain that my taste will outweigh my budget which is probably in the Ten High range. Unless, perhaps I can buy the more expensive (supposedly better?) brands in smaller bottles.

I do have a question on Maker's Mark. Is it a good bourbon? I have read so many mixed reviews that I don't know what to think. Although ultimately it is me who decides I have nothing to measure it up against. For instance is it better than Jack Daniels No. 7 (I know it isn't a bourbon) or Jim Beam white label, but maybe not as good as Wild Turkey 101 proof?

By the way, I have enjoyed that bottle that has maybe just a shot left. Maybe too much, I expected it to last longer.

I have been drinking it on the rocks, sometimes with a little water, sometimes with a lot of water. Boy does it go down easy with a lot of water. Are there any other suggestions. I don't know if I am ready to drink it neat yet.

Virtuoso

Don't worry about what is supposed to be good. Drink what you enjoy the way you enjoy it. Use other peoples opinions as reference points for what you might want to try next or how you might want to try it. Keep and open mind and a receptive palate and you will thoroughly enjoy your adventures in Bourbon Land. You will learn a lot along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by bgast1 View Post
    ...I mentioned also wanting to branch out a bit and try some Scotch. I just picked up a miniature of Famous Grouse 12 year...
    Famous Grouse, the best-selling Scotch blended whisky in Scotland itself, is an excellent, always-handy drink, and a great price/value play in the 1.75L size domestically (at least, here in Tennesse, where it is c. $30).
    I reconcile Maker's Mark alongside Jack Daniel's -- acceptably drinkable, but a bit price-y for what it is. In the case of JD, the standard bottling is 4-5 years old and 80 proof -- a combo I can easily beat many times, vis a vis price, in the bourbon category. Maker's, too, is very enjoyable bourbon, but youngish at c. 6 years old, and thus lacks a refined finish I might expect for its mid-premium price. It just kind of quits on you, leaving you wishing for more (try the MM 46 bottling).
    Tim

Disciple

MM is good bourbon if you like it. But if you do like MM, start trying Weller.

What Sailor said drink your bourbon how you like it as long as it's not with grape Kool-aid we draw the line there. Makers Mark is fine bourbon but like White Dog said you may enjoy the Weller line better. I like My Wild Turkey 101 too just goes down so well. Enjoy your time here come join us in in chat it's the gazebo on the top of the main forum page we won't bite. You'll have a good time and will make some new friends.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Irreverent One

It's taken me 30 years to all of the sudden develop a taste for whiskey. I'll turn 60 in a couple of months.
    Better late than never!

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    What Sailor said drink your bourbon how you like it as long as it's not with grape Kool-aid we draw the line there.
    Wow. That just triggered a memory.

In 1978 I started my first job, as a statistician/programmer in a division of the Florida DOT. For the office Christmas party I offered to supply the punch, planning on using my mother's very popular recipe. This used cranberry juice, apple juice and apricot brandy, along with (optionally) vodka.

Bob, if you've been lurking long you may have noticed I have a somewhat quirky sense of humor. This manifested itself at that time in the decision to have the punch reflect a certain Current Event, so part of the preparation involved food coloring, along with a Time magazine cover for reference.

So the day of the party I bought in three gallons of "Jim Jones Jungle Juice". Two were subtitled "Unleaded", using 30 proof apricot brandy and no vodka. ABV on that version was 1.5%. The other gallon was sutbtitled "High Test", used 70 proof apricot brandy and vodka and had an ABV of about 10%.

FDOT in those days was very much a Good Old Boys outfit, and it didn't surprise me to see the division director and the other senior managers going for the High Test.

Thus I was surprised when, about 45 minutes after the party started, the director's secretary informed me that he'd like to see me in his office. I went in there, where there was a mostly empty bottle of Wild Turkey on his desk. He and the other guys looked pretty blitzed.

"Scott...was there alcohol in that punch?"

"Yes there was," I replied. "What do you think 'High Test' meant?"

"Ummm...more flavoring?"

I couldn't help but laugh. I pointed out that with it being only two PM they should have time to sober up, but I offered a ride home to anyone who thought they might need it. Fortunately no one did.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack your thread, Bob, but Paul's post brought this back to me and I wanted to share it before it slipped away again.

Welcome to SB.com!
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Taster

Great story. I always love a good story.

Irreverent One

Great story. I always love a good story.
    True too, except that I don't actually recall the brand of bourbon. I made it WT just to squick Paul.

Added via edit:

and in case it wasn't clear, yes, they were mixing the bourbon with the punch.
    Last edited by CorvallisCracker; 03-25-2011 at 13:40.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms