Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

New in Chicago area

Been lurking for a few weeks -- found the site when I searched the interwebs for information on that Costco bourbon after buying it blind a day or two after it reached my nearby warehouse.

Relatively new to bourbon -- wife and I wandered the Trail a bit on our way down to Florida in December 2008. Walked around the Beam refinery, er, distillery a bit and toured Maker's as well. Made a few purchases at each, and did my touristy dipping of the MM 375 bottle. MM tour also gave me my only-ever tasting of white lightning.

Hosted a small tasting of eight different bottles in March 2009 (ranging from Evan Williams black up to Eagle Rare 17, a wedding gift) and have quadrupled the collection since. Favorites now include that 17, as well as Booker's (on the rocks -- will take with water next time, as I drink everything else neat now), Buffalo Trace and Corner Creek. Only bottles I haven't much cared for were Kentucky Vintage and Woodford Reserve.

Best "bargain" I've scored was a pair of bottles of Basil Hayden's on clearance at a Meijer for $25 each, though I don't think it's a bourbon that warrants its full retail price. (Also found the 1.75 of MM on clearance at a different grocery store for 20 bucks -- search and ye might find!)

Hope to make it down to Kentucky in June; BT is tops on my "to visit" list.

Still learning, and I look forward to the benefit of all of your experience. Cheers!

Enthusiast

Re: New in Chicago area

Welcome to SB. Enjoy yourself here.

The Voshole

[quote Hope to make it down to Kentucky in June]

If you have the time, come to Bardstown the end of this month for the Sampler and/or the Kentucky Bourbon Festival in Sept. You'll meet a lot of SB'ers, taste some phenomenal bourbon and have a great time.

Gary
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Guru

Welcome to SB! Keep an eye out for the semi-regular Chicagoland get-togethers at the South Loop Binny's. They're always loads of fun.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Dave View Post
    Welcome to SB. Enjoy yourself here.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post
    [quote Hope to make it down to Kentucky in June]

If you have the time, come to Bardstown the end of this month for the Sampler and/or the Kentucky Bourbon Festival in Sept. You'll meet a lot of SB'ers, taste some phenomenal bourbon and have a great time.

Gary
    Sounds awesome -- can't do this month, but will see what my schedule says for September. (I freelance, so I have to strike while the iron is hot.)

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Welcome to SB! Keep an eye out for the semi-regular Chicagoland get-togethers at the South Loop Binny's. They're always loads of fun.
    Great! I hope to make Chuck Cowdery's April 19 bourbon class at Pitchfork, but remain in deadline Hell this month.

Virtuoso

Welcome aboard. Great bunch of whiskey drinkers here with a great knowledge of whiskey. If you have a question, someone knows the answer. As just about every SB-er in the tri-state area has done, I recommend a trip to Binny's South Loop to meet Joe and bunker a few bottles.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy38 View Post
    Welcome aboard. Great bunch of whiskey drinkers here with a great knowledge of whiskey. If you have a question, someone knows the answer. As just about every SB-er in the tri-state area has done, I recommend a trip to Binny's South Loop to meet Joe and bunker a few bottles.
    Eh, I'm mad at Binny's South Loop for not hosting this year's whiskey event. Instead of a nice walk from Union Station, now I have to cab it up to Lincoln Park!

And to rub salt into the wound, the same night of the whiskey event South Loop is having an event with Founder's Brewing.

Guru

You can take the red line to the LP store for the tasting. Also, it may not be founder's but Goose Island is right across the street. I plan on drinking a few post work beers. Welcome to SB.com by the way. Lots of great Chicago members around here.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    You can take the red line to the LP store for the tasting. Also, it may not be founder's but Goose Island is right across the street. I plan on drinking a few post work beers. Welcome to SB.com by the way. Lots of great Chicago members around here.
    Heh -- we moved to the suburbs so we wouldn't have to deal with the Red Line anymore.

Advanced Taster

When is this Binny's tasting of which you all speak?