Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Novice

Weller 12 v. OWA 10/107

Is there a ton of difference between these two Bourbons? (Keep in mind I am a new guy so be gentle with me, please!)

Guru

Re: Weller 12 v. OWA 10/107

First of all you got the OWA wrong it's 7/107 or at least it was, it non age statement now.
    But some say it's still 7yo but BT couldn't fit it on the new label.
    Weller 12, OWA 7/107 and Weller Special Reserve are the same whiskey, just cut to different proofs and different amout of time in the barrel.
    Now as far as taste goes I prefer the OWA 7/107 of the three.

BTW, did you confuse OWA 7/107 with ORVW 10/107?
    ovh

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by farmboy238 View Post
    Is there a ton of difference between these two Bourbons?
    No, they weigh about the same.

(Keep in mind I am a new guy so be gentle with me, please!)
    You had to say please! Okay then!

First, I'm guessing you didn't mean "10/107". OWA had been "7 summers old" for most of its history and more recently is NAS (although it's supposedly still 7yo). I haven't had the NAS.

As for the 12/90 vs the 7/107, as you might expect the former has a little more oak and the latter a little more bite. The latter also has an apple thing going that I don't find in the former.

They're both very good and both good values.
    Last edited by CorvallisCracker; 02-04-2011 at 14:38.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Disciple

The Weller 12 tastes excellent, while the Old Weller Antique 7/107 tastes outstanding and gets you drunker. That's my experience.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    The Weller 12 tastes excellent, while the Old Weller Antique 7/107 tastes outstanding and gets you drunker. That's my experience.
    Wow, you have a way with words. That's exactly how I feel.
    Ryan

Enthusiast

The Weller 12 and the OWA 10/107 are both very nice indeed and I partake of them both liberally and regularly.

To be honest, I think they're both comparable in quality -- the 12 being "smoother", and the the OWA being a bit fuller in taste because of the higher proof. A lot of times I prefer the OWA, even though the flavors aren't as rounded out as the 12. I think 107 proof is my favorite level for a wheater bourbon.

I think you should buy both and have fun in comparing them. While you're at it, now that you have a bottle of Weller 12, you should get yourself some Van Winkle Lot B, and compare that as well. I think the Weller 12 to the VW is a really interesting one because they're alike in so many ways -- the mashbill, the distillery, the age... You can really get a good idea of what the Van Winkles are selecting for when they pick barrels. And you can pay twice as much for it.

A lot of people talk about the Old Weller Antique being non-age statement whiskey. This is true for the 750ml, but the last time I saw a handle of it on the shelf, the 1.75L still had the old "7 summers old" label on it, so I'm fairly confident it hasn't changed. Either way, it's still very enjoyable indeed.
    Last edited by dmarkle; 02-05-2011 at 15:34.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dmarkle View Post
    A lot of people talk about the Old Weller Antique being non-age statement whiskey. This is true for the 750ml, but the last time I saw a handle of it on the shelf, the 1.5L still had the old "7 summers old" label on it, so I'm fairly confident it hasn't changed.
    Ah-ha, so you are saying the new label in the 1.5L still has the 7yo age statement?
    Then it sounds like BT didn't want to or like they said "didn't have the room" for the age statement on the 750ml bottle.
    So all is well in OWA 7/107 land.
    That's good to know.
    ovh

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Ah-ha, so you are saying the new label in the 1.5L still has the 7yo age statement?
    Then it sounds like BT didn't want to or like they said "didn't have the room" for the age statement on the 750ml bottle.
    So all is well in OWA 7/107 land.
    That's good to know.
    Well, when I last saw the handle a couple of months ago, they were still using the old label -- I never saw the new OWA label on a 1.75... There is a small chance, though, that those might have been old bottles. I guess I will just have to buy them all up and then wait for them to restock. Then I'll know for sure.

Oh and one more thing, BT still states that OWA is 7 years old on their Great Bourbon website, even with the new label: http://www.greatbourbon.com/WellerAntique.aspx.
    Last edited by dmarkle; 02-05-2011 at 15:37.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    No, they weigh about the same.

You had to say please! Okay then!

First, I'm guessing you didn't mean "10/107". OWA had been "7 summers old" for most of its history and more recently is NAS (although it's supposedly still 7yo). I haven't had the NAS.

As for the 12/90 vs the 7/107, as you might expect the former has a little more oak and the latter a little more bite. The latter also has an apple thing going that I don't find in the former.

They're both very good and both good values.

So even though one is proofed higher than the other they still weight the same? I would think the "7"(my bad)/107 to weight more!!

Let's throw another wrench into the works and add ORVW10/107 v. Weller 12 v. OWA 7/107. I wonder how "different" the flavor profiles would be to my untrained palate (who cares, I will enjoy them all) and if those differences would justify the $costs on some of these bottles i.e., is the ORVW twice as good as the Weller 12?

Enthusiast

So even though one is proofed higher than the other they still weight the same? I would think the "7"(my bad)/107 to weight more!!

Let's throw another wrench into the works and add ORVW10/107 v. Weller 12 v. OWA 7/107. I wonder how "different" the flavor profiles would be to my untrained palate (who cares, I will enjoy them all) and if those differences would justify the $costs on some of these bottles i.e., is the ORVW twice as good as the Weller 12?
    I'm of the school of thought that says that if you've got an untrained palate, to stick with an apples-to-apples comparison with the proofs of the whiskeys if you're interested in really learning what it is you like about the character of the spirit itself. Weller 12 -> VW 12 Lot B, OWA 7/107 vs ORVW 10/107.

Personally, I think you'll find the biggest difference between the OWA 7/107 and the ORVW 10/107. It's amazing how much more complex the Old Rip is vs its younger cousin.

Is the ORVW twice as good as the Weller 12? Since it's your money and not mine, I will say yes. But for me, I go up to Montgomery County and I get me some Weller 12 for $18.50 a bottle. That makes it too attractive not to be in the rotations of my daily after-work bourbons.