Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

The FAQ may soon be outdated

It states that all straight bourbon is a sour mash, however the Woodinville Whiskey Company will be putting out a straight bourbon in a few years and it will not be a sour mash and probably some of the other micro distillers may be in this boat also. There are also some more like # 13 with the Four Roses not being distributed in the US
    I just have way too much time to F around lately
    11. What is the difference between straight bourbon, blended bourbon and sourmash bourbon?
    Today, all straight bourbons are produced by the sour-mash method. In the sour-mash method, backset (liquid from a previous distillation) is added to the mash in addition to yeast. The backset helps to make the next batch of bourbon similar to the previous ones by passing on some of the characteristics of the previous batches (this is similar to using a "starter" when making sourdough bread). Straight bourbons are produced in accordance to the laws mentioned in FAQ #1 What is bourbon? and contain only undiluted grain distillates. Blended bourbons contain at least 51 percent straight bourbon mixed with neutral grain spirits.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: The FAQ may soon be outdated

Woodinville isn't unique. I don't know of any micro-distiller who is using sour mash. I suspect Wyoming is but most of them no. For one thing, very few of them follow up a batch of whiskey with another batch of the same thing. They like to make lots of different stuff.

As for changing the FAQs, anything like this can be fixed by inserting the word 'major.' Or a qualifier like 'virtually all' instead of 'all.' I say that not because I think anybody needs to mess with the FAQs. It's more important that participants here educate themselves and understand what the real significance of micro-distilleries is.

Connoisseur

We use sour mash in our bourbon at Finger Lakes. Makes for a better product and cheaper than bring in acid for it.

Advanced Taster

We use sour mash for all our whiskies. So far as I'm aware, though, it's just us and Finger Lakes, although like Tom, I suspect that Wyoming Whiskey does, too.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    We use sour mash in our bourbon at Finger Lakes. Makes for a better product and cheaper than bring in acid for it.
    Tom, can you share what percentage of sour mash you use?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold View Post
    We use sour mash for all our whiskies. So far as I'm aware, though, it's just us and Finger Lakes, although like Tom, I suspect that Wyoming Whiskey does, too.
    Who is "us"

I'd suggest that participating distillers may wish to add the name of the distillery they are here representing as well as a link to their website in their signature line.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

We use about 20 percent. Only a small amount in the cooker then the rest in the fermenter. Yes Wyoming uses backset as well.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    Who is "us"

I'd suggest that participating distillers may wish to add the name of the distillery they are here representing as well as a link to their website in their signature line.
    My apologies, unless our distillery is addressed directly, I make it a habit of not naming our shop with the notion of keeping my posts at StraightBourbon from being advertising. That's easy to change.

I'm the distiller at Leopold Bros. Distillery in Denver, Colorado.

Taster

I actually enjoy seeing where some of the members and posters are from and if they have an affiliation to the industry especially with so many coming out now it is hard to keep up with them all and it is very easy to completely miss one. Soo much good and interesting juice coming out now and in the near future and so little time to try them all. I had not heard of the Leopold Bros. Distillery until now. Thank you This is an exciting time to like whiskey(more specifically bourbon)

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

And Mr. McKenzie is the distiller at Finger Lakes Distilling in upstate New York. Both he and Mr. Leopold are among the most respected and esteemed members of the micro-distillery community, the people I go to first with questions, so treat them nice. We're lucky to have them.