Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Well, I guess this means Islay malts are out...

I advise you hang onto that Laphroaig; you may develop a taste for it later on. As an entry to smoky malts I recommend trying Talisker 10. It was the "gateway malt" for me, and allowed me to enjoy the likes of Lagavulin, which disgusted me at first. I'm sure you can find a bar which serves Talisker, or look for a mini bottle.

I recommend Aberlour 10, Strathisla 12, Highland Park 12 as malts that are more challenging than Glenfiddich 12. Actually Glenkinchie 12 is one of my favourites so I'll recommend that too.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    I advise you hang onto that Laphroaig; you may develop a taste for it later on. .
    I can see where you're coming from. I tried it again last night and it was a bit more palatable.

I appreciate all the great suggestions and guidance from everyone. This Web site amazes me.

Guru

Might I suggest GlenDronach Revival.
    See Ralfy's review #195, click below;

http://whiskyreviews.blogspot.com/

I have never had this scotch but I would love to from all that I have heard about it.
    I like Four Roses and Wild Turkey bourbons and for a change of pace I go to Van Winkle or Weller.
    I like Laphroaig and Ardbeg scotchs and I think this GlenDronach would be the Weller to those scotchs.

Have you ever tried Laphroaig 18yo, it is absolutely fantastic.
    You know that smell of last night's campfire that you doused out with water and how it has that terrible smell the next morning?
    That's what Lap 18 tastes like, an awesome peat monster, you can't beat it, I love it.
    Last edited by OscarV; 04-16-2011 at 17:03.
    ovh

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Might I suggest GlenDronach Revial.
    See Ralfy's review #195, click below;

http://whiskyreviews.blogspot.com/
    I do like Ralfy. He's one of the only scotch drinkers I can understand.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Robmo View Post
    I do like Ralfy. He's one of the only scotch drinkers I can understand.
    GlenDronach Revival is not sold in the USA, if you can get some over there ship some over here.
    ovh

Quote Originally Posted by Robmo View Post
    I can see where you're coming from. I tried it again last night and it was a bit more palatable.

I appreciate all the great suggestions and guidance from everyone. This Web site amazes me.
    Some Scotches definitely are acquired tastes, and the Islay/island malts are among them, certainly!
    I see them almost as the tail side of the bourbon-affinity coin: the Lincoln Memorial came well AFTER Abraham Lincoln; Monticello AFTER Thomas Jefferson, et al. Bourbons are more immediately approachable and enjoyable, as a group and individually (within that group), than single malts. I didn't like many of the latter that I admire and appreciate today the first time I had them, either.
    But, in the end, they are whisk(e)ys, just with different flavors, influences, and nuances. Not all my candy needs be chocolate, anymore, either -- but chocolate undoubtedly is what I first thought of as 'candy'.

As others have noted, the Talisker 10 has some sweet notes -- butterscotch, to me -- that emulate bourbon, and yet is undeniably island malt. Try it. Highland Park 12yo is an excellent value (though less so than it used to be -- see if you can find an older, "Orkney Islands" iteration, with the islands etched into the bottom of the bottle, at its original price c. $35 U.S.), with only the introductory essence of peatiness, and plenty of flavor.
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 04-16-2011 at 17:34.
    Tim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    oscar rules

OK, so I took some liberties with blocking out certain letters but the above letters you did type Tim, just not in that order.
    You have the whole summer off, so when you coming home to visit?!?!?
    ovh

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    ...so when you coming home to visit?!?!?
    You sound like my sister, Oscar! She's been asking when I'll be moving "back home" for almost 30 years now, even though I've spent more than half my life here!
    I'm home already. (Though, I suspect I WILL get back to Michigan someday -- I just don't have a current plan. And when I do, the bourbon's on YOU!)
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 04-16-2011 at 17:41.
    Tim

Guru

You sound like my sister, Oscar! She's been asking when I'll be moving "back home" for almost 30 years now, even though I've spent more than half my life here!
    I'm home already. (Though, I suspect I WILL get back to Michigan someday -- I just don't have a current plan. And when I do, the bourbon's on YOU!)
    Oh for God's sake, I have been compared to a sister.
    ovh

Advanced Taster

the Lincoln Memorial came well AFTER Abraham Lincoln; Monticello AFTER Thomas Jefferson, et al.

the Talisker 10 has some sweet notes -- butterscotch, to me -- that emulate bourbon, and yet is undeniably island malt.
    Not sure about the Monticello reference there, as I thought Jefferson built it, lived there and fathered several children there!

Talisker 10 seems to be a consensus recommendation both on SB.com and with a couple personal friends of mine. That may be my next foray, although a lot of other ones look tempting.