Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Apprentice

New from California

Greetings! After a 5-year relationship with Knobb Creek, I have been branching out for the past year. I was very pleased to find SB and its deep knowledge base to guide my purchases!

After my first visit to SB, I purchased Eagle Rare single barrel and really enjoyed it. Next, I tried a Weller. At 125 proof, it was a little hot for me (I typically add 2 ice cubes after a taste of it neat). I just bought the Saz18 yesterday and like that it is more mellow at 90 proof, but I am missing some of the complexity of the Weller. I like the flavor I consider "coconut", which must be from the fired oak barrel(?).

Looking forward to learning from y'all.

Virtuoso

Re: New from California

Welcome! Always happy to see another California Bourbon lover. Sounds like you are well on your way.

Welcome to SB Marna. Interesting contrasts in the two bourbons you've started out with. You kinda hit both ends of the spectrum. The ERSB is a pretty decent bourbon. Great one for a starter. The WLW 125 proofer, well........ as my signature says, "I never met a Weller I didn't like." I believe the one you have is from 2008. It's a great one. Yes the higher proof can be a bit hot, but by adding a few drops (or a splash) of water, you can tame it down a bit. Or, as you did, add a couple of ice cubes. I agree with what you said about the complexity of the Weller. Not to bad for a "newbie". The flavor you described as coconut, I just call "nutty". Pecan maybe.

By the way, I noticed you ended your post with, "Looking forward to learning from y'all." My roots are southern, although I was born and raised in the midwest. Are you by chance a southerner now living in California? I use the term"y'all" all the time, and once in a while I'll get a curious look. I love it though. Anyway, welcome again, and I hope you have some fun here. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Apprentice

Hi Joe,
    Thanks for your response. I definitely look forward to finding where I fall on the bourbon spectrum, and I'm sure I'll try Weller again. After reading more here at SB, I would let it breathe for a bit next time.

I picked up a bottle of OGD 114 on Sunday after reading the thread, "stepping away from the high end". It's pretty good. Think I'll pick up some Buffalo Trace next.
    Tasting away,
    Marna

P.S. I'm a California girl by birth, but like to call on Southern hospitality when the occasion calls for it.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by marna View Post
    Hi Joe,
    Thanks for your response. I definitely look forward to finding where I fall on the bourbon spectrum, and I'm sure I'll try Weller again. After reading more here at SB, I would let it breathe for a bit next time.

I picked up a bottle of OGD 114 on Sunday after reading the thread, "stepping away from the high end". It's pretty good. Think I'll pick up some Buffalo Trace next.
    Tasting away,
    Marna

P.S. I'm a California girl by birth, but like to call on Southern hospitality when the occasion calls for it.
    Welcome aboard, Santa Cruzer! Great city, beautiful area, bet you can enjoy some Weller on the beach while watching the sunset. Since you're in northern California and you mentioned Saz 18, you might want to check out the rye offerings of Anchor Steam (Old Poterero label) out of SF.

Connoisseur

welcome Marna. I live in Monterey. That is a good wide range of bourbons and ryes you've selected. I would also recommend picking up a Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 y.o.. It is very good stuff!

Greg
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Welcome aboard Marna I hope your enjoying the site. Make sure you keep us posted on your bourbon journey and ask as many questions as you like. Post your thoughts and opinions. Come join us in chat it's the gazebo at the top of the main forum page it says who's in chat at the bottom of the page.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

Greetings from NYC, Marna!!!
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBoozer View Post
    welcome Marna. I live in Monterey. That is a good wide range of bourbons and ryes you've selected. I would also recommend picking up a Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 y.o.. It is very good stuff!

Greg
    Hi Greg - thanks for the recommendation. After reading all the excitement about the distribution of this one, I have to ask...What's your source?
    Marna