Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jefferson's Rye

Advanced Taster

Re: Jefferson's Rye

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Who's the other one, Davin?
    Chuck, Hiram Walker is the other according to Davin's site, http://www.canadianwhisky.org/news-v...e-whiskey.html

Advanced Taster

castle brands latest (april 2011) 8k filing with the SEC indicates what most of us know: in fy 2012 (current year for them), they intend to launch jefferson's rye, limited edition (doesn't say how many) and priced $5 above the regular offering (do they have a regular rye already or are they referring to the reserve bourbon?).

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

They've never sold a rye under the Jefferson's name. The COLA also mentions that it's 100% rye made in Canada so, presumably, the same stuff as Whistle Pig.

They also seem to have parted ways with KBD and are now doing their bottling at LDI. My sources inside LDI have confirmed that.

Advanced Taster

i'm really looking forward to this rye. is this supposed to be a regular limited release edition? presumably, if it's around $35, there will be more.

Connoisseur
    Looks like John Hansell has gotten his hands on a bottle. Aside from being jealous, I'm very excited about this whiskey! According to John, it tastes very similar to Whistle Pig and will be much more affordable. Can't wait for it's release!

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Virtuoso

Heads up, just found my first bottles on a shelf during my weekly (at least) stroll through Binny's for $34.99. I am VERY curious to see how it stands up to Whistle Pig!

Connoisseur
    Ugh, super jealous Aaron!! Please post back your thoughts!!

Josh

Josh

Virtuoso

Thanks for the encouragement Josh! First impressions:

The nose is very pleasing, all good notes... actually I forgot the nose now because I've had a glass. It definitely has that same grassy finish full of wormwoody spice that I found with the Whistle Pig. Tasting Whistle Pig alongside the Jefferson's, the thought strikes that in addition to the slightly higher proof bringing a more clean, purer experience, the Whistle Pig could be coming from honey barrels while the Jefferson's from right next door.

The Whistle Pig is more succinct and a little sweeter, tangier. The Jefferson's is a bit more general with more of a glazed sweetness, less delicate. Despite the lower proof, the Jefferson's is a little hotter.

When it comes down to it, though, this is some great juice. Much more lively than Templeton's, for instance, and at a better price. It's been too long since I've had Baby Saz to compare, but if Whistle Pig's superiority called for a $55-$60 price (rather than the $70 price I bought it for), Jefferson's earns its price point in spades.

Connoisseur
    Great info Aaron! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to trying it soon.

Josh

Josh

Virtuoso

I can't wait to find a bottle of this. I just called up my local shop and asked if they can get it for me. Hopefully I'll know in a couple days.