Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jefferson's Rye

Advanced Taster

Re: Jefferson's Rye

I tried some of this (with AaronWF of course) yesterday. I can't quibble with his tasting notes, but tasting that + Whistle Pig side by side helped me conclude that I just don't like 100% rye. The lack of a corn backbone really makes them both taste one-dimensional to me.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by LikeItWasSodaPop View Post
    I tried some of this (with AaronWF of course) yesterday. I can't quibble with his tasting notes, but tasting that + Whistle Pig side by side helped me conclude that I just don't like 100% rye. The lack of a corn backbone really makes them both taste one-dimensional to me.
    Out of curiosity, do you feel the same about LDI Rye?(95% Rye/5% Barley)

Apprentice

I ordered a bottle of this from an online retailer today. Should have it in a couple days. I'm looking forward to trying this one.

Guru

Finally got to try this. Seems like the same pedigree as WhistlePig. I think WP got the better barrels but the Jeff is still a fine pour. And a heck of a bargain.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

I have yet to try it. I may have to order it. I had some wp given to me from Dave Pickerell, and it is a different animal. i think it is the aging climate in Canada. It totally suprised me. You would think the rye jumped right out, but it did not. I had to grow on me. The stuff from LDI to me, screams I AM RYE.

Virtuoso

Anyone seen this in Texas yet?

Virtuoso

Well, if anyone in DFW is interested, Goody Goody should be getting this soon. Apparently Glazer's wanted to move it out of the market entirely silly distributors

Connoisseur

Picked up a bottle yesterday here in Atlanta for $31. It's sweeter than I would have imagined. Good stuff, and a good buy.

Here's John's review...

http://www.whatdoesjohnknow.com/2011...t-rye-whiskey/

Virtuoso
    Finally got my bottle yesterday. Definitely echoes Whistlepig... But at 1/2 the price an incredible value!

Connoisseur

Had this twice over the weekend, so i'm going to throw my thoughts in to the mix.

First thought, cork on extremely well, thought I was going to pull the wood cap off and the cork was going to be stuck.

Huge aromatic nose. after pouring I'll usually let the glass sit for 5-10 minutes on a table next to where I'm sitting, before taking the first sip. some just sit there and be quiet, this one puts out such a smell, and a good one, to let you know it's here and ready.

In tasting, sweet up front, one my favorite first tastes sensations that not all bourbons have, and this one needs it. And a pleasant lingering finish, not stellar, but decent.

I'm having trouble with the middle. it really does seem rather one dimensional and others have said. And I just yet can't put my finger one what I'm getting out of it quite yet. It's a mix right now of a somewhat "off" tastse, and yet pleasantly different? It's really confusing at this point to the taste buds.

As I'm drinking i was wishing that I had a Bulleit Rye open to compare, I think I'm going to need to open the one in the bunker for direct comparison soon! Going from memory, i really liked the Bulleit, thought it was well balanced in all areas, and something that I could drink daily.

But I just don't get that from this.......and it's only a 5% difference in the mash bill? Granted, it's got the advanced age on it compared to Bulleit, but man, what a difference.

Right now, any plans that I had to pick up more are absolutely on hold until I settle this out. I was excited to see it in, but this has been tempered now with the first tasting.

Last thoughts????

I think it is one of those things that you do need to at least try, if more for "educational" purposes to complete ones learning of the taste spectrum of the impact of mash bill, and age. Coming back to it over the next week I hope to get more out of it than what I got in these firs two brief encounters.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."