Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jefferson's Rye

Disciple

Re: Jefferson's Rye

I, too, think it's just okay. I'm glad I picked up a couple of bottles, and I'll continue to explore it, but I'm not sure I'll enjoy it much more.

I guess, at the end of the day, the Canadian's just aren't as good as Hoosiers when it comes to making Straight Rye.

When I first tried Whistlepig, I thought, "What's the big deal?"

Advanced Taster

Tried this at a Jefferson's tasting event at Party Source. Really enjoyed it. It might have been my second favorite overall behind the Jefferson's 18 bottles.

Connoisseur

I did a side by side tonight of the Whistlepig vs Jeffersons and thought I'd share.

Whistlepig Straight Rye, 10yr 100 Proof

Color: Amber

Nose: Subtle spices including pepper and cloves. Amazingly for 100% rye, the rye does not dominate the nose like LDI rye. It's soft and subtle. Mild oak in the background.

Taste: A very creamy and soft entry that crescendos into a spice bomb. The rye makes an appearance followed by light cinnamon and nutmeg. A bit of cracked pepper in the middle. Excellent structure and a beautiful transition from start to finish. Like a spicy hill that starts off soft, grows to bold levels, and then trails off towards the end. Very nice.

Finish: The spices linger on the palate. More cloves and a hint of ginger as the spices fade. A moderate finish on the length.

Rating: This is an excellent rye and one of my favorites. Everything is in balance with excellent structure. The spices all play well together with none dominating the palate. I give this one a 94.

Jefferson's Straight Rye, 10yr 94 Proof

Color: Light amber.

Nose: Quite similar o the Whistlepig. Subtle spices including cloves, pepper, and cinnamon. There's an initial unpleasant nail polish note that fades with a little time in the glass. A little hint of roasted peanuts.

Taste: Loads of spice up front. Cloves tend to dominate the palate initially with nutmeg and cinnamon quickly catching up. There is a mild astringent note midway through that I can't place. Somewhat bitter but fades on exit. A similar transition to the Whistlepig but the spicy notes are more forward on this one. Surprisingly, it drinks a little hotter than the Whistlepig. Subtle wood, oaky notes on exit.

Finish: Spicy and peppery with a medium-long finish. More clove notes. Mildly drying.

Rating: This is a very nice pour. It has a very similar profile to the Whistlepig but has a few flaws, and as a result, the score gets marked down a few. I'm giving this one an 88.

Conclusion: In my opinion, this is not the same juice. Very similar flavor profiles but there are some giant red flags in the Jefferson's pour. The entry on the Whistlepig is SO much creamier than the Jefferson's. Similar spicy notes....but the Jefferson's just doesn't quite measure up. In the end, I'm reaching for the Whistlepig.

Thanks Brent for the sample!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Enthusiast

Thank you for sharing.

What is the price difference between the two and does that have any effect on your outcome?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post

Conclusion: In my opinion, this is not the same juice.

Thanks Brent for the sample!
    I was thinking that this was going to be the outcome!. Nice review josh. Although now that you mention the creaminess in the Whistlepig, You make me feel bad for not grabbing one at Binny's this last weekend, they had it on sale down to $65. Snagged a PHC instead.

I've had the same thought with the Jeff vs Masterson's, there is much similarity, but they still seem far apart in the end.

Thanks
    B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Disciple

bought a bottle of this for 25.00 in Ky. this past weekend. Not bad for a 10yr. old rye!

thomas

Connoisseur

I picked this up to today and was very pleased with it. The two dominant themes were the (1) classic minty, prickly rye studded with cinnamon that I sort of associate with the LDI ryes, and (2) a kind creamy vanilla, withy maybe a little cherry.

I had a pour of VW Rye right after and the former held its own.

I think it's a good value at $36+ here in NYC, let alone for $25.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Virtuoso

Fwiw I met raj bhakta (owner of whistle pig) and lets just say that according to my sources whistle pig, mastersons and Jefferson's rye are all from Alberta. The subtle differences are a result of what happens to the aged juice once it leaves the distillery. For example thewhistlepig is rebarreled in new charred oak barrels for up to 2 years according to mr bhakta. I haven been on the whistle pig train due to QPR reasons and I also think the label and marketing story, although genius, tells a lie. In person, I will admit that mr bhakta was more than forthcoming about what he is doing/selling. Fwiw
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Enthusiast

Interesting..

P&MLiquorsEric posted this new Jefferson's flyer in another thread. It shows the rye as being 95%, which means they're probably transitioning to MGP/LDI.
    This would lend some insight as to why the Canada mention was removed from the labeling.

ga8uvu5u.jpg

Guru

Thanks for the information. It's too bad, it was starting to grow on me too. At least it appears that it will still be 10 y/o. Not a lot of MGPI rye out there with that kind of age on it.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog