Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Advanced Taster

Checking in From Colorado

Hey everybody,

My name is Brendon, I'm from Northern Colorado and currently in school for a degree in Business Management, then I hope to go onto get an MBA; and, I just recently celebrated my 21st birthday. I have always had an interest in bourbon, the history behind the spirit, and the nuances between different bourbon's has me intrigued. Of course, I want to learn more. Looks like there is a great deal of knowledge here and I look forward to conversing with everyone.

On another note, I have had this idea in the back of my head for a while now, the idea of getting into distilling bourbon, its a little tough for me to keep interest in most of my ideas, but this one has been there for quite some time, so I think there may just be some substance to it. I am of course focusing on school first, but when I graduate (another year), I may look deeper into it and what it would take.

So far, I am just in the beginning stages of building up my own little bourbon bunker, but I've got: Elijah Craig 12 year, W.L. Weller Special Reserve 7 year, and Makers Mark. Going to spend a little more birthday money on building up the bunker, saw an Eagle Rare 10 year on sale and I'm sure I can find another. Other than bourbon's I enjoy a good cigar, and of course the combo of the two; mix that with a round of golf, and I am a happy man.

Anyways, thanks for having me, looking forward to learning some more about this fine spirit.

Re: Checking in From Colorado

Welcome to SB Brendon. If you are that interested in getting into the bourbon business, you may want to check this place out. http://www.wyomingwhiskey.com/
    I'm familiar with the wide open spaces in WY and CO, but I'm pretty sure that Kirby Wyoming is closer than Kentucky. Check out the How To Get Started, and Welcome, And Helpful Hints For New Members threads. That will help you get started. Enjoy. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Greetings, Brendon!

The search engine is your friend.

And enjoy the ride!
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Looks like there is a great deal of knowledge here...
    Heh, that's putting it mildly...

Welcome aboard!
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

wripvanwrinkle

Welcome mooose. Don't pass up the opportunity to try Stranahans. Although not a Bourbon, it is a unique malt and sings strongly of Colorado.

Advanced Taster

Seems like it's time to get a tasting together, gentlemen.
    Traver

"If you fear I'll lose my spirit/Like a drunkard's wasted wine/Don't you even think about it/I'm feeling fine."--13th Floor Elevators

Advanced Taster

I'd be up for a tasting. And the Stranahan's I actually did a little marketing project on that earlier this year, just analyzing their four p's, was fun finding out a little bit about the company and its whisky. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to pull the trigger on a bottle of it yet, still working my way up to that price range.

Enthusiast

Moose: I don't want to burst your bubble on Stranahan's, but things have probably changed since you researched. it. They sold out to Cuervo I believe it was somewhat recently, so are no longer a Colorado Company. I've heard rumors they will move the distillery to Maryland (just like they did the other company, Flying Dog). In my opinion, the semi arid climate of CO is not ideal for whiskey aging. Stranahan's ages their whiskey inside a climate controlled room (not warehouse) and they have to run misters to keep the barrels from drying out and springing leaks. The lack of seasons or temparture swings and above average evaporation just doesn't work in my opinion. I would think also that is why they would look at moving it. I'll be interested to see how Breckenridge's product will turn out given they are 4,000 feet higher and have much colder winters. For now, I'll stick with bourbon that has endured the KY seasons (or at least a climate similar).