Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Disciple

Re: New Wild Turkey Commercial

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonv View Post
    Yes there is a lawsuit - Wild Turkey's lawyers came to the Filson to talk with me because they wanted to know more about Old Crow and "the bird". They did not realise that Old Crow dates back to the 1830s.

Mike Veach
    Nice information Mike. Checked it out further and Wild Turkey sued Jim Beam over trademark infringement over this whole stupid saying. Suit is pending in federal district court.

I won't link to it but even more disappointing to me than the original commercial are photos Tom Fischer posted on his blog back in August of Jimmy and Eddie Russell giving the finger. Yeah I know it's a business and they need to find a way to grab attention but still ...
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    Nice information Mike. Checked it out further and Wild Turkey sued Jim Beam over trademark infringement over this whole stupid saying. Suit is pending in federal district court.

I won't link to it but even more disappointing to me than the original commercial are photos Tom Fischer posted on his blog back in August of Jimmy and Eddie Russell giving the finger. Yeah I know it's a business and they need to find a way to grab attention but still ...
    Eddie and Jimmy still work for the man and they have to do what they are told. This advertising campain came from Campari.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Eddie and Jimmy still work for the man and they have to do what they are told. This advertising campain came from Campari.
    Good point...pad pad pad

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

People can dismiss it as good clean fun if they want to, bur 'the bird' is still considered offensive enough that it has to be digitally fuzzed on commercial television. Presumably, Wild Turkey is trying to tap into the transgressive, Hunter S. Thompson side of its heritage. My personal opinion is that it is ill-considered, but we'll have to wait and see.

Connoisseur

I agree with Chuck. I hope the Beam lawsuit ends the campaign.

Mike Veach

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    I'm seeing ads on the tops of cabs here in NYC, it's pictures of the two bottles (81 & 101) and the phrase, "Give 'em the Bird." I'm not going to boycott WT or anything, I just think it's sort of lame. It feels like they are taking a venerable brand and dumbing it down, and doing it badly.
    SWAG aimed at the lowest common denominator is not new to Wild Turkey. Many clothing items in their gift shop contain colorful language, and this pre-dates the Campari ownership.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?