Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Old Forester Signature: Bourbon of the Year (at least according to one blog writer)

While surfing around looking for info on OFSignature, I came across this article on proclaiming it to be the Bourbon of the Year. I don't know who this guy is, but I agree with his love for OGSignature.

http://cocktails.about.com/od/whiske...-signature.htm
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Virtuoso

Re: Old Forester Signature: Bourbon of the Year (at least according to one blog write

Given that anyone with web access can be a "critic" is there any whiskey that is not "Whiskey of the Year" somewhere?
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Taster

Re: Old Forester Signature: Bourbon of the Year (at least according to one blog write

Lance J. Mayhew was a bartender and bar manager for over 16 years. During his time behind the bar, Lance received numerous accolades for his creative and seasonal cocktail creations. In 2008, the Beverage Network named Lance one of America’s “Ten Trendsetting Mixologists” and he was also a two-time selection to the Grand Marnier/Navan Mixology Summit featuring the nations top 100 bartenders. Currently, Lance is an instructor at Oregon Culinary Institute in Portland Oregon. That is who he is if it makes any difference

Disciple

Ohh boy, here we go again.

[notthisshitagain.gif]
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Guru

OF Sig, bourbon of the year?!?!?!?
    Did he say what year?
    Maybe sometime in the 1700's.
    ovh

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Given that anyone with web access can be a "critic" is there any whiskey that is not "Whiskey of the Year" somewhere?
    Slate Bourbon. Distilled in Chicago (if you believe the press) and available only in Australia. Suitable for engine degreaser, paint stripper and any other caustic use you can think of.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

and Lance thinks it has to be aged 2 years to be called bourbon - http://cocktails.about.com/od/northa...bon_basics.htm. Wrong!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I think the deal with Slate is that it's a Diageo product and it's bottled at their big Plainfield plant, which is suburban Chicago. It's certainly not distilled here. My guess would be that it is distilled and aged at LDI.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I think the deal with Slate is that it's a Diageo product and it's bottled at their big Plainfield plant, which is suburban Chicago. It's certainly not distilled here. My guess would be that it is distilled and aged at LDI.
    Wow- its bottled down the street from me and I didn't even know about it.

Enthusiast

Though the title "Bourbon of the year" is meaningless to me, I find Signature to be very good considering the price. Some don't consider price when buying bourbon, but to me, price is important.

The only rub with Signature is that it's priced at the same point as OGD114 and OWA, both of which usually get the nod ahead of Signature. Still, every bourbon cabinet should have a bottle.
    I come here because you people make me feel normal.