Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Virtuoso

Newbie from Central MA

Hi All,

Just a quick note to introduce myself. I found your board after researching bourbon/rye online. My interest started in a peculiar way - I was traveling on business, and went to have dinner at the bar of a restaurant. I sat next to an elderly Southern gentleman who ordered a Sazerac, and the bartender was a bit flumoxed. The customer gently explained to him what was involved, but was quite disappointed that a 'good rye' wasn't available to make his drink (the bartender offered 'Canadian Club', and that suggestion was met with what appeared to be shock and scorn).

I had no idea what was going on, not knowing why this gentleman was so particular about his whiskey. Long story short, I researched 'Sazerac', which led me to search out the required ingredients, and made one using what I've learned from the board is called 'baby Saz'. I couldn't believe the flavor. Soon, I was leaving out the Herbsaint, the bitters, and just having rye on the rocks. This led to reading about the Buffalo Trace distillery, trying the BT bourbon, reading about the Whiskey Rebellion, and well, the rest is history.

So, I may not contibute much since I really have no idea what I'm doing with bourbon, but what I've tried so far I've really enjoyed (Four Roses SB 2009 Ltd., Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, and for rye, Michter's 10 YO, Sazerac, Rittenhouse BiB, and Russell's Reserve).

I'm like a kid in a candy store at this point, and looking to learning from all of you.

Cheers!

Mark

Guru

Re: Newbie from Central MA

Welcome to SB.com Mark. I read your story and I do hate it when the bartender gets flumoxed...nothing good ever happens!
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Connoisseur

Greetings from NYC, Mark!

The reason you've really enjoyed the bourbons/ryes you've tried so far is that so many of them are great stuff, IMHO. I'm a big fan of Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve and Rittenhouse BiB.

Keep reading and keep posting and keep enjoying good whiskey.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Virtuoso

Thank you, SBOmarc and Tom. Looking forward to learning from you both.

Mark

Enthusiast

enjoyed your intro story, glad you found this place and found a taste for Rye and Bourbon!

Welcome! I'm sure you will enjoy your stay here.
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Enthusiast

Hi Mark,

Looks like you're pretty close to Purgatory Chasm, a neat place, haven't been in a few years. I'm a little east of you in Braintree. Welcome. If you haven't found it yet, head to Julio's Liquors in Westboro, not too far from you. One of the biggest (and certainly the most unique) whiskey selections in the north east. He also does whiskey tastings most Wed. nights.

Cheers,
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Virtuoso

Thanks Kevin and Mike - I'm learning quite a bit from searching the board already. Great contributors posting here.

Mike, yes, Purgatory Chasm is just down the road a piece. I'm going to try to make the tastings at Julio's - I'm originally from Westborough but only recently returned. In my day, Julio's was just a little grocery store. They've lost the groceries and added the alcohol!