Hi All,

Just a quick note to introduce myself. I found your board after researching bourbon/rye online. My interest started in a peculiar way - I was traveling on business, and went to have dinner at the bar of a restaurant. I sat next to an elderly Southern gentleman who ordered a Sazerac, and the bartender was a bit flumoxed. The customer gently explained to him what was involved, but was quite disappointed that a 'good rye' wasn't available to make his drink (the bartender offered 'Canadian Club', and that suggestion was met with what appeared to be shock and scorn).

I had no idea what was going on, not knowing why this gentleman was so particular about his whiskey. Long story short, I researched 'Sazerac', which led me to search out the required ingredients, and made one using what I've learned from the board is called 'baby Saz'. I couldn't believe the flavor. Soon, I was leaving out the Herbsaint, the bitters, and just having rye on the rocks. This led to reading about the Buffalo Trace distillery, trying the BT bourbon, reading about the Whiskey Rebellion, and well, the rest is history.

So, I may not contibute much since I really have no idea what I'm doing with bourbon, but what I've tried so far I've really enjoyed (Four Roses SB 2009 Ltd., Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, and for rye, Michter's 10 YO, Sazerac, Rittenhouse BiB, and Russell's Reserve).

I'm like a kid in a candy store at this point, and looking to learning from all of you.

Cheers!

Mark