Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

How much and how often do you drink whiskey?

Just curious. I'll start. I generally drink around 6 oz. each night. (Generally more if my neighbor comes over.) I start with a tasting of 4 0.5 oz samples to compare and then go with one of several standards for the rest. The tastings I drink straight. The rest I always drink with one gum drop ice cube to cool it just a touch. I also drink a large glass of water with each two ounces which keeps me from having a hangover.

So what are your drinking habits?

Disciple

Re: How much and how often do you drink whiskey?

My pours are usually around 1 oz. I drink three or four nights a week, and I usually have two or three pours (sometimes four) on those nights. I mostly drink it neat, and very seldom do I go with the same pour twice in a row. I just try to keep rotating through my open bottles.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Virtuoso

I usually have about two or three 1 oz pours most nights. Occasionally, more.

Smaller pours means I can change it up. But if I'm really in the mood for just one brand, I'll pour a double.

Guru

Having grown up a beer drinker, there was a time when it would have been inconceivable to me that I would be drinking spirits in the amounts that I now do. Of course it varies from night to night, but I typically hit the whiskey 3-5 times per week and the volume ranges from as little as two ounces when I'm alone to six ounces or more if we're doing a tasting or friends drop by to watch a sporting event. I, too, drink large quantities of water to prevent hangovers (with varying degrees of success) but I'll be honest: On some level, I sometimes think that the amounts I drink can't be good for my health, now that my tolerance has increased to the point that it has. I mean, I don't behave foolishly when consuming liquor (drink and drive, become argumentative or abusive, etc.) but I doubt very much that my liver and stomach lining appreciate the amount of booze that comes their way. I certainly know that my wife questions the long term consequences of regular whiskey consumption and my doctor would likely have a fit if I told him about my 3-5 times per week/2-6 ounces per occasion routine. I'm curious to hear what others have to say on the matter, as I surely can't be alone in wondering about the potential ill-effects of our hobby.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I surely can't be alone in wondering about the potential ill-effects of our hobby.
    I must admit I have wondered about this. I once tried burning the alcohol off first but it produces a really nasty drink.

Advanced Taster

I will typically have 2-3 ounces either neat or in an old fashioned about 4-5 times a week. Although recently I have been cutting back a little. probably to ever 2-3 days I will have a drink.
    Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough. - Mark Twain.

Taster

I have 1.5 to 2 oz neat almost every day on a big night I will have 2 if I have 3 then I am heading for bed.

Advanced Taster

my wife questions the long term consequences of regular whiskey consumption
    I have the same worries. On the bright side, before I got into bourbon, I would get nasty heartburn once every few weeks, real nasty. Now I never get it, I could be very wrong, but i think bourbon has 'toughened up' my stomach and it can now handle my somewhat unhealthy diet......

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by jcg9779 View Post
    My pours are usually around 1 oz. I drink three or four nights a week, and I usually have two or three pours (sometimes four) on those nights. I mostly drink it neat, and very seldom do I go with the same pour twice in a row. I just try to keep rotating through my open bottles.
    Jack and I have a lot in common...maybe that's why we're in chat together so much!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Enthusiast

I'm curious to hear what others have to say on the matter, as I surely can't be alone in wondering about the potential ill-effects of our hobby.
    Winston Churchill used to have 5-6 drinks per night, every night and lived well past 85. George Burns drank 3 martinis every nght and lived to 100, (although the last 3 years were a little rough due to a nasty fall).