Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Even Kulsveen / Willett

Omar,
    Ya know, I think I'll just take a drive up that hill and see just what is up there (if no one hears from me for awhile, please take up a collection for bond money....).
    I can be Scully although I was really hoping to get to do the 'Bourbon drinking chick' (instead of the cigarette smoking man).
    As soon as we thaw out around here I'll check it out and report back.
    The truth is out there......
    Bj

Blowin' smoke in Bardstown

Connoisseur

Agent Brenda Scully,

Proceed with extreme caution up the Hill. You'll likely need a Search Warrant from the Federal Bourbon Investigators (FBI). If questioned, tell 'em you are investigating Unidentified Fermenting Objects (UFOs).

Well Agent Brenda, I wish you Godspeed on your mission. Gotta go now and get a shot of Johnny Drum -- it's so darned good it's Out of this World.
    15-Earth-Years-Old.

Omar

Connoisseur

Omar,
    Oh, you are good...Unidentified Fermenting Objects...hooha, pretty easy to tell we were up too late, huh?
    Honestly, I think I'll jus' put on a pair of really tight jeans and walk right up to the door...;o) They probably won't let me in but I bet I can @ least get 'em to talk to me....
    So OK, I gotta know, tell me about the Johnny Drum. I plan to try and run some down first thing in the morning (it's Sunday, ya know). But, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    B. Scully
    Federal Bourbon Investigators, XXX Files

Connoisseur

Brenda,

Hope you found some Johnny Drum, the 15-YO Private Stock in Bardstown. I rank it as one of my top 5 whiskeys, along with Jefferson's Reserve, another 15-YO bottled by you-know-who up on 'The Hill' where your cig-smoking informant works. J-Drum comes in a rather low key bottle and it's ridiculously inexpensive, around $19. Every drop charcoal filtered, 101 proof but oh-so-mellow and tasty it's hard to believe the high alcohol, unless we are dealing with a Higher Distilling Intelligence here. There's also a 12 which I haven't tasted. You shouldn't have trouble finding either.

I don't know if it's rye, wheat or kryptonite in that sour mash. But I am in awe and I AM NOT ALONE. Jim Murray calls it "mouth-watering...has the nose of an old Irish pot-still whiskey with the hard, small grains flying in all directions". (Now Agent Brenda, I ask you -- who can fly in "all directions" if not "them"?) Norwegians? I don't think so, they are good at sea.

Exhibit B - "Experimental whiskey made under lab conditions has been quite good," says Murray of the folks on The Hill. What lab? What kind of experiments? Hmmm. See a pattern here?

Be vigilant of generic Corn Oil transport trucks. Remember the X-Files.

Omar

Connoisseur

OK Omar,
    you wrote:
    Proceed with extreme caution up the Hill. You'll likely need a Search Warrant from the Federal Bourbon Investigators (FBI). If questioned, tell 'em you are investigating Unidentified Fermenting Objects (UFOs).

I didn't have time to get a warrant so, I snuck (Kentucky word) in. Although I managed to move about without being arrested (a good thing), I still don't really know much more than when I started. I've been asking around (I have several friends that are distillery drivers) and no one seems to know much.
    One thing I do know, I can't find Johnny Drum around here. Toddy's carries 3 of his labels but no Johnny Drum.
    If anyone on the Forum that lives close to me can point me in the right direction, I would love to taste Johnny Drum. In the meantime, I'll open my files to you:

Scully's Secret Mission

Later,
    Bj

Connoisseur

Wow Scully! The plot thickens! All this bourbon and not one human in sight. Hard to believe Sam Houston, Jefferson's Reserve, Noah's Mill, Johnny Drum and others are all bottled there. Those photos seem to indicate otherwise.

If you can't find Johnny Drum near you, you can get it from internetwines.com for about $20 (for the 15-YO). Jefferson's Reserve is also outstanding, but far more expensive. I haven't checked Sam Houston.

I'll ask the Bourbon Festival planners if they can somehow persuade Even to attend this year's event. Hopefully, we can all learn something about the man and his impressive products.

Omar

**DONOTDELETE**

John Allison who was V.P. in charge of production at U.D. has bought into a new bottling operation at the old Schenley distillery at Lawerenceburg, Ind. (Old Quaker was made there). He is bottling the U.D. bourbons and it could be possible that he is also bottling these products as well. Anybody from Cincinatti want to go over and ask?
    Mike Veach

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

BJ,

Your report is terrific. What fun! One thing I love about Kentucky is how nothing ever changes. everything looks pretty much as it did the last time I was there --- nine years ago.

The warehouse standing open is priceless too. Pure Kentucky.

--Chuck Cowdery

Connoisseur

Chuck,
    Why thank you kind sir. I loved doing it. Actually, I've been gathering stuff for a couple of years for a major website. I want to show Kentucky the way it looks from the eyes of a local. I've been stumped as to what title to use. I believe you just named it. As soon as I post this, I'm gonna see if purekentucky.com is available.
    Bj

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

"Pure Kentucky" has been used in the past as the theme for Kentucky Tourism advertising and for Wild Turkey bourbon advertising, just FYI. If the domain name is available, go for it!

--Chuck Cowdery