Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 5/11: Four Roses Yellow Label

This is my standard pour unless I'm experimenting. Last summer a local liquor superstore decided not to carry it anymore. Because he knew I liked it, the manager said he would give me a good price if I would buy all he had in stock in order to clear up shelf space so I got about 4 cases of 750s for $5 a bottle and 5 cases of 1.75s for $20 a bottle. As a thank you he got me a Four Roses (Troy Brady) barrel head signed by Jim Rutledge which hangs prominently above my bar.

For whatever reason they decided to start carrying the 1.75s again for $25 a bottle. At that price it is a steal so I keep buying it and saving my other in case they stop selling it again.

IMO it's a light easy drinking bourbon that does well neat, with ice, and mixes well with other bourbons. Also, It is about the only bourbon my wife will drink.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    ...For whatever reason they decided to start carrying the 1.75s again for $25 a bottle.
    OMG I am extremely envious of that price. $20 standard for the 750 here in Neb. Also, signed barrel top is pretty freakin sweet too.
    -Andy

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude

Enthusiast

I like all the Four Roses expressions. I would like to see the yellow label at a higher proof but I'll take as is.
    Greg
    Southeast New Mexico

Taster

I will be passing on this one because I just do not buy 80 proof juice do like the single barrel expressions though

Enthusiast

Wasn't there a label change to a black label? Did I dream that?

i must have. Was there a label change?
    Last edited by chefnash51; 05-10-2011 at 09:47.
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by chefnash51 View Post
    Wasn't there a label change to a black label? Did I dream that?

i must have. Was there a label change?
    No label change. The black label is for Japan.

Taster

It's $17 to $18 in Ohio; a buck more than WT80.

At WhiskyFest, the Four Roses table would clean out your glass with Yellow Label before pouring Small Batch or Single Barrel. It was an impressive way to get rid of the peat.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainQ View Post
    No label change. The black label is for Japan.
    Actually, they sell both yellow label and black label here (Japan). Yellow label is cheap, sometimes about $13 at this exchange rate. I bought a bottle once a few years ago (about $9 at the time), and I found it sweet and fruity, but too much so and too light at the same time. Most of all it seemed oily, cloying. I was drinking mostly Early Times KSBW at the time and only bought it because it was cheap and they were giving away a free glass or something. I went straight back to ET. Never tried another Four Roses product- but I think about it from time to time - like when Oscar or Josh start waxing about Four Roses premium products.

The black label says "rare old" on the label. It's also 80 proof. Their propaganda says its fruity like the yellow label, but "richer". I wouldn't know...but it better be, because it sells for about $30 at the current exchange rate.
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by edo View Post
    Actually, they sell both yellow label and black label here (Japan). Yellow label is cheap, sometimes about $13 at this exchange rate. I bought a bottle once a few years ago (about $9 at the time), and I found it sweet and fruity, but too much so and too light at the same time. Most of all it seemed oily, cloying. I was drinking mostly Early Times KSBW at the time and only bought it because it was cheap and they were giving away a free glass or something. I went straight back to ET. Never tried another Four Roses product- but I think about it from time to time - like when Oscar or Josh start waxing about Four Roses premium products.

The black label says "rare old" on the label. It's also 80 proof. Their propaganda says its fruity like the yellow label, but "richer". I wouldn't know...but it better be, because it sells for about $30 at the current exchange rate.
    Sorry you didn't like the yellow label, Ed. I know this is wrong, but a part of me is glad that we've reached the point where the U.S. has the same or better selection of Four Roses products than Japan!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Taster

Has anyone been able to find this in stock in a NoVA VABC? It's on their standard stock price list, but my store doesn't keep it stocked and has to order it. Unfortunately, the stores around my area (culpeper/warrenton) are notorious for taking months to years to get in a special order.
    Last edited by Photodudems; 05-16-2011 at 10:32.
    "They say some of my stars drink whiskey. But I have found that the ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games." - Casey Stengal