Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 5/11: Four Roses Yellow Label

Well, this was BOTM half a year before I found SB, but it's the bottle I just bought. I paid $19.99 in Boston, but then found it for $16.99 at Atlas in Medford, MA.

I found it not bad at all for a "regular priced" bourbon. Light bodied, not hugely flavored or sweet, and I wouldn't drop in more than one ice cube if I want to cool my drink.

I get the floral note and some vanilla, but not as much of the fruit. I'll probably keep this for summertime on the rocks, as right now Boston is getting its first real cold snap, and my taste tends toward stouter beers and heavier-bodied whiskey (including peated scotch, which I never drink in summertime)...

I started with the Yellow Label for the price (no budget for expensive bottles at the moment) and soon I plan to start working my way up through the 4R offerings...

Connoisseur

Toured the distillery last week, and got to try all the 4R expressions.

I liked yellow more than small batch, and I like small batch. Either the bottle they have is really good, or the bottling has gotten better.

I do know there are whiskeys anywhere from 3 to 10 years old in it.

The tour guide also said they have a contract to supply Segrams with yellow label. She mentioned Crown Royal may be 40% YL.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Young Blacksmith View Post
    Toured the distillery last week, and got to try all the 4R expressions.

I liked yellow more than small batch, and I like small batch. Either the bottle they have is really good, or the bottling has gotten better.

I do know there are whiskeys anywhere from 3 to 10 years old in it.

The tour guide also said they have a contract to supply Segrams with yellow label. She mentioned Crown Royal may be 40% YL.
    She must have meant Diageo. Seagram no longer exists as a company.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

After trying this in Louisville a couple of weeks ago and being impressed, I just cracked open a bottle of this last night. While the FR single barrel is now my favorite pour, I think I can say this about the yellow label....it may just be the best damn 80 proofer I've ever tried....much more richness and elegant spiciness than I've ever seen in an 80 proof whiskey. Two enthusiastic thumbs up!

Virtuoso

I seem to be in the minority, but I just don't like the yellow label at all. Single barrel and small batch are great.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I seem to be in the minority, but I just don't like the yellow label at all. Single barrel and small batch are great.
    I'm afraid I'm in the minority camp as well and that's coming from someone who couldn't love the other expressions more.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I'm afraid I'm in the minority camp as well and that's coming from someone who couldn't love the other expressions more.
    Well maybe we won't get to a majority but maybe a minyan...as long as we're not drunk .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    Well maybe we won't get to a majority but maybe a minyan...as long as we're not drunk .

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    I also did not enjoy the bottle of Yellow Label that I had. Haven't tried any of the others, waiting to finish a few open bottles before I open the bottle of Single Barrel that I have.

Connoisseur

My exact feelings as well. I've only had 1 bottle of yellow label (it's been open 6 months, unheard of in my house ) and it still sucks. There are several budget bourbons that I enjoy, never again with yellow label.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...