Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

And yet another newbie.

I'm in my mid-50's and have decided to look into my options when it comes to having a drink while I'm relaxing.

Beer and wine just don't excite me. I can drink them but prefer not to. They're too filling.

I have one requirement for whatever I choose; it has to taste good enough to drink straight.

I've been enjoying Seagram's VO (it's okay) or Southern Comfort (it's okay most of the time but sometimes too sweet), straight.

Last week I found this website so after looking at some threads I bought some Maker's Mark and Wild Turkey 101. I opened the WT 101 and was surprised that it was so much better than I remember Jim Beam white (my previous bourbon experience when in college).

I thought I'd get a bottle of Buffalo Trace. With BT, WT 101, and MM it sounds like that may be a decent beginning to learning more about bourbon. Did I understand the recommendation in the threads correctly?

Anyway, I hope to learn a lot from the forums at this website so I thought I had better say hello!
    Last edited by Shunryu; 05-02-2011 at 12:03.

Novice

Re: And yet another newbie.

I've had a great time raiding the single-serving shelves at the nearby liquor stores. You can get some pretty good stuff in 50ml bottles (Basil Hayden, Blantons, Knob Creek, etc...). For the price of one full bottle, I get to try something new each time I decide to have a drink. Then when you're done, go out and buy a fifth of your favs.

Also recommend grabbing a little Gentleman Jack, and any type of rye whiskey, if for nothing else than comparative purposes.

Virtuoso

Re: And yet another newbie.

Welcome from another newbie! Sounds like you have a good start there. While I've been drinking bourbon for years, I've only recently come to realize the great variety out there. Half the fun is in sampling to find things you like/love. Hope you have as much fun in your journey as I have!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay