Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Theories on Organizing your Bourbon?

I was inspired by the show us your stash thread to ask this question to get some guidance. I have now over 100 bottles unopened and built shelves to hold them behind my bar. I have gone through a couple different organization schemes, and though I would ask for input from you all on how you keep your organized.

Currently I have basically 2 sections, dusties and current productions. They are sub sorted by distillery. I also keep boxes in a bunker of duplicates, because well, I ran out of shelf space The Questions I have are:
    Do you keep you other whiskey with bourbon from the same distillery?
    Do you keep Limited editions mixed in with regular production?
    Do you keep opens separate from sealed?
    Do you keep a separate bunker stored?
    Is there a recommended method for storage/display that bars use, like a standard guide to bar organization?

Virtuoso
    I use the Dewey Decimal System.

Advanced Taster

Re: Theories on Organizing your Bourbon?

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    I use the Dewey Decimal System.
    I did think of going alphabetically, or by ascending UPC code, or by height, but since my father in law is dean of a university library he may help with DDS.

Virtuoso

I keep a spreadsheet and sort it by opened/sealed status, then type of whiskey then alphabetically by product name. If I were to physically organize in a bar, though, I'd go by bottle height instead of alphabetically.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

I keep anything open in my cabinet. I don't usually have more than a half dozen or so open at any time. The rest I keep in case boxes. I store the difficult to replace, and the easier to replace items separately. I try to put bottles from the same distillery, wheated bourbon, or rye together with their own kind. I like to have a box with several decent daily pour type bourbons around, for when I want something for the cabinet, and don't want to search through everything. I suppose if I was really organized, I would take inventory, and make a list.

Disciple

I have a shelf of tall and/or limited and/or both (e.g. BTAC) bottlings, two half-height shelves for minis, then everything else is segmented by distillery -- open, closed, new, dusty all mixed together. Non-bourbons (ryes, corn, moonshine) have their own shelf.

Decanters are decanted into empty wine of whiskey bottles and the empty decanters displayed on the top of the cabinet.
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Stuff it all in boxes and leave it there long enough to forget what you have.

Nothing like the joy of opening a box to find something you thought you were out of.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

On the shelf, it's short to tall from the front. From there, the bottles are roughly categorized by type in that wheaters are together as are ryes and the different EW bottles, but there's no strict organization.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Enthusiast

I can currently fit everything in one cabinet. Stacked them one behind the other, open ones in front (if there is one). My cabinet determines how I organized them cause the tall (BTAC and Taylor Tornado types) will only fit up top, so my Weller/ORVW type bottles land on the bottom shelf.

Trippah and Admin

Alphabetical by height.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?