Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hirsch Bourbon - rare?

I've come to understand that Hirsch Bourbons are some pretty rare and desirable things. I found a bottle of "Hirsch Selection - Special Reserve - American Whiskey - 20 years old" near me. I'm not familiar with Hirsch in general but when i searched for it, I find some bottles are worth a few hundred bucks whereas this one is worth $70-90. Why the disparity?

Thanks for your help!

Virtuoso

Re: Hirsch Bourbon - rare?

I'm no expert, but Hirsch Selection whiskeys could be sourced from various distilleries. The A.H. Hirsch bourbons were distilled at the Michter's distillery in PA.

Look at Cowdery's post in the Paraphenalia section. His new book is about the A.H. Hirsch bottlings. Hirsch Selections have nothing to do with it.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

There is plenty of information here on the board about all iterations of Hirsch so if you're considering spending that kind of money, a small investment in search and reading time might be worth your while.

Everything in the world is priced according to what the seller thinks someone will pay. You, as the customer, have to decide what any given product is worth to you. If you don't know enough to make that judgment, then you have to educate yourself.

As a rule, older is always more expensive, though not always better.
    Last edited by cowdery; 05-10-2012 at 17:54.

Disciple

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ad.php?t=16844

I break down most of it here, as best I can.

As you'll read, I am a fan of the Hirsch 20yr Illinois Whiskey(You'll see "Illinois" listed on the neck label, although the front label states "American."), but due to the time in wood, and the fact that it was used cooperage, it's not for everyone. If you can find some old Barclay's when it was still DSP-IL-3, it's quite interesting to compare. I can't be certain, but I believe the Hirsch 20yr Illinois was also distilled there, FWIW.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by wadewood; 05-10-2012 at 18:47. Reason: drunk posting

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    There is plenty of information here on the board about all iterations of Hirsch so if you're considering spending that kind of money, a small investment in search and reading time might be worth your while.

Everything in the world is priced according to what the seller thinks someone will pay. You, as the customer, have to decide what any given product is worth to you. If you don't know enough to make that judgment, then you have to educate yourself.
    To surmise, a fool and his money are soon parted.....Why I am I saying this a lot often?

Well I appreciate the posts. This store has had these bottles for sale for an excess of a year and I always passed them by and figured that I was wise to do so but I just wanted to make sure.

Especially considering just a year ago this time I got two bottles of Parker's Heritage Cask Strength for $25 a piece b/c the store I bought them at had them for "over 4 years" and few people in Lincoln NE know the difference between this and Jack Daniel's green label.