Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: The Barton Rumors.

I endorse hoarding because more sales will mean a longer distilling season. But Barton is not threatened. Arguably, it has been threatened with closure for years. In that regard, its future is more assured now than ever.

There are essentially four parts to the Barton 1792 Distillery; distilling, aging, bottling, and tourism. The aging facility was never threatened. That's the main reason Sazerac bought them. Bottling was second. Distilling was third and tourism wasn't going to happen if distilling didn't happen.

In distilling, Barton has gone through a period of correction. The previous owner had over-produced. Warehouses are nearly full. By buying Barton, Sazerac has been able to avoid building new warehouses, a big expensive bullet dodged. They are the only producer able to dodge it.

Inventory is now in balance so distilling going forward, starting this fall, will be nearly normal. As I noted in my blog post, Barton is set up so that when they distill, they distill a lot in a short time, about 180,000 gallons a week.

The folks at Sazerac have also concluded that Barton, and the rest of the Bardstown area distilleries, have a distinctive taste profile that differs from the Frankfort-Versailles profile. They think it adds to their ability to produce a variety of whiskeys.

Most of the jobs at any distillery are in bottling. The bottling line at Barton is the most flexible one in the company (and the company has five different bottling halls). The one at Barton is very good at cork finishes.

I know 'correction' isn't a consoling word to someone out of work, but going forward Barton will be fine.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I endorse hoarding because more sales will mean a longer distilling season. But Barton is not threatened. Arguably, it has been threatened with closure for years. In that regard, its future is more assured now than ever.

There are essentially four parts to the Barton 1792 Distillery; distilling, aging, bottling, and tourism. The aging facility was never threatened. That's the main reason Sazerac bought them. Bottling was second. Distilling was third and tourism wasn't going to happen if distilling didn't happen.

In distilling, Barton has gone through a period of correction. The previous owner had over-produced. Warehouses are nearly full. By buying Barton, Sazerac has been able to avoid building new warehouses, a big expensive bullet dodged. They are the only producer able to dodge it.

Inventory is now in balance so distilling going forward, starting this fall, will be nearly normal. As I noted in my blog post, Barton is set up so that when they distill, they distill a lot in a short time, about 180,000 gallons a week.

The folks at Sazerac have also concluded that Barton, and the rest of the Bardstown area distilleries, have a distinctive taste profile that differs from the Frankfort-Versailles profile. They think it adds to their ability to produce a variety of whiskeys.

Most of the jobs at any distillery are in bottling. The bottling line at Barton is the most flexible one in the company (and the company has five different bottling halls). The one at Barton is very good at cork finishes.

I know 'correction' isn't a consoling word to someone out of work, but going forward Barton will be fine.
    "The previous owner had over-produced." This seems funny to me, considering VOB was only sold in 3 or 4 states. All they have to do is bottle and release VOB BIB to the entire country to take care of the excess inventory. SB members alone could solve that "problem." I know that VOB wasn't the only thing made, but geez, open it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    "The previous owner had over-produced." This seems funny to me, considering VOB was only sold in 3 or 4 states. All they have to do is bottle and release VOB BIB to the entire country to take care of the excess inventory. SB members alone could solve that "problem." I know that VOB wasn't the only thing made, but geez, open it up a bit.
    I agree 100% and that was my first thought as well. It probably wouldn't take anything more than 10-15 additional states to get distribution and the excess would be gone! Then it'd probably turn into a the opposite.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Disciple

I also noticed that on the 1792 website, it mentions that tours are given on the hour every hour. IIRC, as Tom Moore, that facility was reservation only for tours. Has anyone gone on a "standard" tour in the last month that might comment?

http://www.1792bourbon.com/

The soft opening of the new VC and new tour was May 2. The Grand Opening was May 10, so it hasn't even been a month yet. I saw the basic tour layout. It will cover the distillery, the bottling hall, and an aging warehouse, all on foot. You drive in off 31-E, (by the 1792 billboard, for those who know Bardstown) and the VC parking is at the bottom of the hill.

You also get to see the world's largest whiskey barrel.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    The soft opening of the new VC and new tour was May 2. The Grand Opening was May 10, so it hasn't even been a month yet. I saw the basic tour layout. It will cover the distillery, the bottling hall, and an aging warehouse, all on foot. You drive in off 31-E, (by the 1792 billboard, for those who know Bardstown) and the VC parking is at the bottom of the hill.

You also get to see the world's largest whiskey barrel.

Thanks. I'll be sure to report my findings in a few weeks.

Please do.

One thing I think they will have trouble with is that 31-E entrance. I think people are going to have trouble with that driveway, especially in any kind of bad weather. The other entrance is much easier to negotiate but much harder to find, so you're rolling the dice either way. I'll be interested to hear how you find it.

Virtuoso

I thought the plan was originally to build the visitor center off 62 west of town. That would be a lot more convenient, although maybe harder to find.

That was the original plan but it died with the Sazerac sale. No one has ever outlined for me the merits of both and why the US-62 idea was quickly abandoned. I suspect it was the cost of new construction and the logic of putting the VC on the periphery of the property as opposed to in the heart of it, where it is now.

Most distilleries, and this is certainly true of Barton, have a lot of unused space, usually labeled as 'storage,' that is full of junk nobody is ever going to use. That was true of the space where the new VC is now, except for a small part of it that was being used as the office for finished goods logistics, which they have moved up to the finished goods warehouse on the hill.

Buffalo Trace has created several nice, new, usable spaces just by clearing out some old 'storage' rooms.

I'm sure one objective in both cases at Barton was to keep the tourist traffic away from the truck traffic, which uses the Barton Road entrance.
    Last edited by cowdery; 05-19-2011 at 15:04.

Advanced Taster

Just got back from Bardstown and 3 nice highlights.
    1) New Barton tour seemed a bit out of sync. Hit the warehouse 500ft away first, then rolled through the grain dump/fermenters and distillery next, then through bottling and shipping. Think it makes best sense for tourists to see the facilities in order (distillery, warehouse, bottling) since not everyone knows the process for making whiskey like the back of their hand. I love the Barton facility because you see spirits making industry in the raw, with no beautification (think MM). BUT, there were still a decent number of trucks that rolled by on that road in between the VC and the warehouse and distillery AND the shipping area forklifts were busy... it might not take a big imagination to imagine a bad-enough tourist incident somewhere, some how, some day. Interested to hear what Bourbon Boiler thought of tour. His tour (or tour leader) may have been less disjointed.
    2) Long live Liquor World.
    3) I took a chance on the Moby Dick (since I'd seen it here somewhat positively reviewed, I think) and the bar area alone was jaw-dropping (from a control state). Up scale restaurants in Cincinnati don't have the impressive array MD displays. I've never been that close to an open bottle of Pappy23. (And the fish wasn't bad either.)
    Mark