Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The Barton Rumors.

There were rumors flying around the Gazebo Saturday about hard times at the newly renamed back to the old name Barton 1792 Distillery, specifically rumors that they had stopped distilling and might not resume.

I was shocked by this because I had just been there that afternoon seeing the investment they've made in tourism infrastructure. I couldn't believe they were doing that to show people a silent distillery. Since I got back I've talked to Mark Brown and Pam Gover, and can tell everyone that Barton's continuation as an active distillery is about as assured as anything is in this business.

I wrote some about it here and have more details to report, probably tomorrow. The new/old name officially takes effect next week.

Enthusiast

Re: The Barton Rumors.

I certainly hope they make it through whatever they are going through. It would be a sad loss if they don't.

Otherwise, you may have created a "hoarder's run" on their products.

Maybe A&E will make a show "Bourbon Hoarders" for those who suffer from whiskeynexarosa, or whatever that term was from a post a while back. I'm too lazy to search for it now and can't spell good enough to find it anway (although it was a great thread).
    Last edited by BradleyC; 05-04-2011 at 17:26.

Taster

Well that is good news as I have just recently "discovered" VOB BIB and have found it to be very good especially for the price and I do not feel so bad when using it to cook with either

Advanced Taster

I'm glad they're on solid footing. It made no sense that they would be struggling - all the other distilleries seem to be booming. If they were shutting down, I'd have the city emptied of VOB 90 and 100 in about 3 hours.

I have to confess I didn't know there was a connection between VOB and Ridgemont Reserve. RR has never been on my radar. Are the whiskies related? Same mashbill, etc?
    "Brown eyed women and red grenadine...
    the bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean." -Jerry Garcia

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock View Post
    I'm glad they're on solid footing. It made no sense that they would be struggling - all the other distilleries seem to be booming. If they were shutting down, I'd have the city emptied of VOB 90 and 100 in about 3 hours.

I have to confess I didn't know there was a connection between VOB and Ridgemont Reserve. RR has never been on my radar. Are the whiskies related? Same mashbill, etc?
    Same distillery, different mashbill. Ridgemont is very high in malted barley compared to other bourbon brands and all of it comes from one specific warehouse on the grounds.

There's lots of info about it here in other threads.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Enthusiast

That's good to hear as I like me some VOB BIB and 1792.
    Greg
    Southeast New Mexico

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Same distillery, different mashbill. Ridgemont is very high in malted barley compared to other bourbon brands and all of it comes from one specific warehouse on the grounds.

There's lots of info about it here in other threads.

I knew it had a different taste, but I did not know it was high in malt. Any idea on the mashbill?

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I missed the Saturday night Gazebo, so couldn't spread my own Barton rumors. But Chuck's blog essentially confirmed what I had heard.

"Barton hadn't distilled for several months and wouldn't for some time."

Sources - Barton employees looking for jobs at other distilleries.
    No grain deliveries since last year.
    Minimal new barrel deliveries

I didn't hear from anyone that it would be shutting down for good. But if there becomes a surplus of capacity within the BT/Sazerac companies or predicted sales at retail don't materialize, it would make sense to idle one and run the other at high efficiencies. Of course, that assumes BT can replicate the Barton profiles, or vice versa (if that matters to BT).

Randy

Enthusiast

Glad to see things aren't as bad as originally thought. RR 1792 is a great pour at a great price. Wish CT had access to VOB BIB, but the 90 is a tasty value too!

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock View Post
    If they were shutting down, I'd have the city emptied of VOB 90 and 100 in about 3 hours.

now in case you missed the memo, if you put effort into locating a hard to get, no longer available, or on the way out whiskey, you are to forgo sharing with close friends who may not be on this site, send PMs to the entitled SBers, then post on this site so everyone has a fair share to get it.

I know I've gotten many tips on bottles like these before, in fact my box is almost filled with PMs with where to get bottles that fall into this category.
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Advanced Taster

Two great pours (VOB BIB and 1792) that I personally enjoy quite a bit. That tour was great getting to see the bottling and distillery operations along with the tour guide (Pam Glover mentioned by Chuck) was quite memorable for me. Agree with the sentiments above that hoarding would be going on, it's a shame that I can't get any BIB up in the NE, but 1792 is a great consolation. Thank you for sharing the information.
    “Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime”—Lao Tzu