Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Round Lake Beach, IL
    Posts
    78

    I received a gift today

    A member of another forum that I visit sent me a small bottle of Forty Creek Premium Barrel Select. 40% Alcohol by volume Canadian Whisky, I am anxious to give it a try this evening. Does anyone know much about this whisky? How it compares to other Canadian Whisky's in terms of quality? The only other Canadian Whisky that I can recall recently is Canadian Club. I have been told the CC is considered rot-gut in Canada. Relatives of mine used to only drink Crown Royal but I haven't tried that either.

    Also, some hints as to properly taste this whisky would be helpful as I am still very much of a newcomer, yet I am starting to develop a palate for the different Whisk(e)y's

    I have found that I prefer bourbon mostly because of price and being an American.

  2. #2
    Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Round Lake Beach, IL
    Posts
    78

    Re: I received a gift today

    Well, I am drinking it neat. It tastes sweet, perhaps some maple? Not really sure. I like it, but so far it is the sweetest whisky that I have had. Ralfy suggested putting a little Islay scotch in it. I have just a tiny bit of Laphroiag left over. Just enough. I might try that tomorrow. One thing that Ralfy said was get rid of the rocks in the glass, but I find that by drinking my whisky that way after tasting neat is that it lasts longer that way and for someone with as little money as me, I need it to last.

  3. #3
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    209

    Re: I received a gift today

    The sweetness is typical for Canadian Whisky's. I haven't had the Forty Creek, the last Canadian Whisky I had was Pendleton, and it was okay, a little too sweet for my taste to be consumed straight, a little bit of ice helped it a tad, but I ended up just using it as a mixer, as the sweetness paired well with cola. Sounds like your enjoying it enough though, which is good, will be interesting to see if adding any scotch to it helps, that's a method I haven't heard before.

  4. #4
    Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Round Lake Beach, IL
    Posts
    78

    Re: I received a gift today

    Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    The sweetness is typical for Canadian Whisky's. I haven't had the Forty Creek, the last Canadian Whisky I had was Pendleton, and it was okay, a little too sweet for my taste to be consumed straight, a little bit of ice helped it a tad, but I ended up just using it as a mixer, as the sweetness paired well with cola. Sounds like your enjoying it enough though, which is good, will be interesting to see if adding any scotch to it helps, that's a method I haven't heard before.
    I hadn't heard of it before either. I think Ralfy added some Ardberg, but I only have just a few drops of Laphroaig.

    Thanks for the reply. I don't usually mix whisk(e)y unless adding a liberal amount of ice cubes counts as mixing. I don't need to water it down to enjoy it but it helps make the drink last longer.

  5. #5
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    678

    Re: I received a gift today

    Search for Forty Creek on this board, you'll find lots of threads.

    I'm a fan of the stuff.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

  6. #6
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: I received a gift today

    Yeah, it's good stuff. Very brandy-ish, to my way of thinking. I like it for a change of pace, but I don't drink it that often. I do like to give it as a gift to people who favor that style of whisky. It's top quality and the price is very reasonable.

  7. #7
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southeastern Michigan
    Posts
    130

    Re: I received a gift today

    Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Yeah, it's good stuff. Very brandy-ish, to my way of thinking. I like it for a change of pace, but I don't drink it that often. I do like to give it as a gift to people who favor that style of whisky. It's top quality and the price is very reasonable.
    Canadian whisky's character is lighter and a bit sweeter. I haven't had the chance to try the Forty Creek Premium Barrel Select, but I'm an admirer of Crown Royal Special Reserve (very, very good) and Crown Royal Limited Edition (available only in Canada). I also enjoy these Canadian whiskies for a change of pace.

    Canada has many whiskies with wonderful reviews by Davin - many however are only available when visiting our northern neighbor.

  8. #8
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Flamborough, Ontario
    Posts
    773

    Re: I received a gift today

    Quote Originally Posted by bgast1 View Post
    A member of another forum that I visit sent me a small bottle of Forty Creek Premium Barrel Select. 40% Alcohol by volume Canadian Whisky, I am anxious to give it a try this evening. Does anyone know much about this whisky? How it compares to other Canadian Whisky's in terms of quality? The only other Canadian Whisky that I can recall recently is Canadian Club. I have been told the CC is considered rot-gut in Canada. Relatives of mine used to only drink Crown Royal but I haven't tried that either.

    Also, some hints as to properly taste this whisky would be helpful as I am still very much of a newcomer, yet I am starting to develop a palate for the different Whisk(e)y's

    I have found that I prefer bourbon mostly because of price and being an American.
    I do get some hints of maple from Barrel Select. Actually the distiller's tasting notes are pretty accurate in my opinion: walnut, apricot, vanilla. A rocks glass is fine. I've been drinking Canadian whisky with a single ice cube but I found Barrel Select a little too light to take the ice. Barrel Select is quite different in flavour from other Canadians. As Brisko pointed out it has brandy-ish qualities.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Help With a Gift
    By Pink in forum Paraphernalia
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 16:31
  2. Help With A Gift
    By MJL in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-14-2008, 21:35
  3. bourbon as a gift
    By cathy0504 in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-01-2006, 13:48
  4. I just received three new bottles - 1 have a ?
    By Vange in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-27-2005, 22:12
  5. Bourbon received as gifts?
    By kitzg in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-17-2001, 12:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top