Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Case of AH Hirsch 16 on fleebay

I know threads about "the auction site" are discouraged but I think most of us look from time to time to see what things are going for.

There is a guy that has a case of Hirsch 16 on right now and from looking at his feedback has already sold a case and a bunch of bottles, around 35. And that is just what he's received feedback for. I don't want to accuse the guy of any wrong doing but is there anyone out there that was accumulating this many bottles of it? I have to admit if I had a 100% guarantee that they were legit bottles I would be tempted to put in a bid but I'm just to skeptical of someone having that much to ever bid.

Thoughts?

Connoisseur

Re: Case of AH Hirsch 16 on fleebay

I bought a case of Hirsch several years ago at $49.99 bottle because it seemed real cheap compared to the value of the bourbon and the fact that it was no longer made.

I don't know the exact numbers on the gold foil but there was a lot more of it produced than any of the wax versions by a lot so it doesn't surprise me that someone would be sitting on multiple cases of the stuff.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Enthusiast

Perfectly believable. It's harder to believe you'd be willing to waste that much money on those bottles though. I guess if you want the status symbol, more power to you.

There are several posters on this board that have hoards of wax Hirsch. It was priced reasonably less than a decade ago, but that is the way it goes with discontinued items.
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by WsmataU View Post
    Perfectly believable. It's harder to believe you'd be willing to waste that much money on those bottles though. I guess if you want the status symbol, more power to you.

There are several posters on this board that have hoards of wax Hirsch. It was priced reasonably less than a decade ago, but that is the way it goes with discontinued items.

I definitely wouldn't keep 12 bottles if I did it which I'm not going to do anyway. Would sell off most and keep a few bottles which would be pretty reasonably priced after that. I actually had it and liked it a lot but not enough to be paying $215/bottle for 12 bottles. For 1 maybe if I saw it on a day where I was feeling spewy with my money.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by RyanL View Post
    I definitely wouldn't keep 12 bottles if I did it which I'm not going to do anyway. Would sell off most and keep a few bottles which would be pretty reasonably priced after that. I actually had it and liked it a lot but not enough to be paying $215/bottle for 12 bottles. For 1 maybe if I saw it on a day where I was feeling spewy with my money.
    I don't think those sort of eBay offerings are aimed at "us".

I can see hoarding quite a few cases of something that you really like that isn't going to available anymore. A lot of us, including myself, are probably/obviously guilty of that. If my liver were to fail in the next ten years, which is highly probable, I would have to point at the bunker and yell "That's gold, Jerry! Gold!"

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I was just talking to a gentleman a few weeks ago who had fallen in love with this whiskey and had accumulated many cases of it, all blue and gold wax editions. He mentioned he had sold some of the gold wax off, but was keeping the blue as his drinking stock.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Advanced Taster

I guess I was just kinda assuming there wasn't many people out there hoarding too much of it from some of the things I had read. Like that it wasn't really considered collectible back then and most people just drank it, also that there really wasn't a secondary market for bourbon 4-5 years ago like there is now. I guess that wouldn't stop someone who bought up 4-5 cases of it for $40 from selling off most of his stock because he decided he wanted the money more than his favorite bourbon. I just personally wouldn't ever do that unless I was hurting for money but good for him. Unfortunately like most people I can't easily drop 2600 on 12 bottles of bourbon, maybe one day though.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by RyanL View Post
    I guess I was just kinda assuming there wasn't many people out there hoarding too much of it from some of the things I had read. Like that it wasn't really considered collectible back then and most people just drank it, also that there really wasn't a secondary market for bourbon 4-5 years ago like there is now. I guess that wouldn't stop someone who bought up 4-5 cases of it for $40 from selling off most of his stock because he decided he wanted the money more than his favorite bourbon. I just personally wouldn't ever do that unless I was hurting for money but good for him. Unfortunately like most people I can't easily drop 2600 on 12 bottles of bourbon, maybe one day though.

Capitalism. Perhaps he bought for $40 as investment. He took a risk that the value would go up. Good for him. Plenty of great current stuff out there right now that if you wanted to buy 4-5 cases and sit on for 8-9 years you might get same return, then again you might not.

Virtuoso

That's the funny thing about collectables.......back in the day, nobody ever thought the stuff would be worth anything in the future. Seriously, there is a collector for everything out in this world.

Got to admit, i did see this posting also the other day, and had a flashback to years ago standing in Binny's looking at the Hirsch, for $49.99, and wondering...."I wonder if my wife would kill me if i bought a case of this?"

I knew then it was special, and wouldn't be around. But, i probably would've ended up drinking most of them by now. Still have a bottle of the three I bought that day. Always brings up fun memories when I look at it.

It'll be opened someday and enjoyed. But not someday anytime soon........

B

Connoisseur

Sit on current bottles/cases of PVW15 of Stitzel-Weller stock and see how it does in auction once Buffalo Trace stock comprises the PVW15 expression.

Long live capitalism.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"