Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staples

Connoisseur

Staples

Friends, what are the bottles that you always strive to have open on your bar? I guess this is similar to the "everyday pour" threads, but I'm thinking a little more comprehensively: ideally, what whiskeys do you always try to keep open at home in order to comprehensively address what would normally happen at home (i.e. whiskey for guests, mixed drinks, variety of ryes and bourbons, etc.)

For me, it's:

Weller 12
    Rittenhouse Rye
    Forty Creek Barrel Select
    OGD (86 or BIB) (I'm fortunate enough to have a pretty large stock of ND OGD on hand)

All of these are under $25 and give me a range of things to drink, offer to guests, or mix.

It's a little pricey, but I'd sure like to always have a bottle of Redbreast 12 on hand. To round things out, I'd also wish that I could have some Balvenie Doublewood present to offer to SMS folks.

But what I'd like, and what is prudent financially, do not always intersect.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Enthusiast

Re: Staples

ryed: Four Roses SB
    wheated: ORVW 10/107
    Ryan

Virtuoso

Being as I'm the only one that drinks whisk(e)y among my friends and family, I have quite a few open most of the time. My brother is the only person that drinks whiskey, besides me, but he always drinks it with Coke. I always have EWB, OGD BiB and/or Beam Black.... All of which are cheap enough for mixing, and good enough for me to sip neat.

Connoisseur

Let's see. Three kinds of Irish - Powers, Midleton and Black Bush, Usually Prichard's double barreled and a Willet "I dream of Jeannie" bottle, Baby Saz, and at least one Pappy are always open.

I have one Canadian - 40 Creek Confederate Oak - for my step son, who is the only other drinker in the family, and a bottle of 30 year old Glenrothes which I stretch out.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Here you go.

For guests that don't like bourbon:
    Canadian Club
    Gibson's 12 year old Canadian
    Jack Daniels

As far as my personal tastes go, I always have at least a couple of different Wellers open, a couple BIB's, a couple higher end/specialty bottles, a dusty or two, and a few odds and ends. Right now:
    Weller SR
    07 WLW
    AA BIB
    Old Forester BIB
    EH Taylor
    Willets 126.6 proof (Dgonano)
    08 FR Mariage
    WT 8 101 export
    1969 & 1973 Beam from decanters
    Old Fitz Prime (SW)
    Benchmark SB

This seems to cover all the bases for me. It varies some from time to time as I finish bottles or purchase something new that I want to try. After I finish a bottle or two, I'll open something new. No pattern there. Sometimes it's something similar. Sometimes completely different. The exceptions are AA BIB and Weller. I'll always have those open. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

Weller 12
    Woodford Reserve
    Buffalo Trace
    Elmer T Lee
    Old Fitzgerald 12
    After my recent Van Winkle spring purchases...I should be able to keep ORVW 10/107, VW 12, and Pappy 15 as daily pours for a while.

Disciple

Sometimes I slip, but I try to have the following open at all times.

OGD 114
    WT101
    WT101Rye
    ETL
    FRSB
    VWFRR
    Weller 12 (Actually, I keep 2 bottles of Weller 12 open at all times. One for the basement, and 1 for the first floor. )

Those are just the must haves for me. I have dozens of other whiskeys open at any given time.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Buffalo Trace
    Blantons Special Reserve
    Evan Williams
    Elijah Craig 12yo
    Evan Williams Honey Liquor
    Makers Mark
    Jim Beam White (for guests who want to mix with coke)
    Bookers
    Bakers
    Basil Hayden
    Woodford Reserve
    Wild Turkey American Honey
    Any 'on special' Wild Turkey

Sadly I've been a bit slack with my shopping lately and only have about 2/3 of those listed on offer.... I'm a bad host

Advanced Taster

I try and keep a solid, well rounded lineup. Some heavy hitters, some easy drinkers, some spicy, some sweet, some low proof, some high proof. This way, no matter what kind of mood I'm in, I've got something to quench it. Nice thing about this topic, is it's ever changing for me. As I discover new things, and get tired of others.

Right now, some I will always have on hand/open
    WT101
    OGD 114
    WT101 Rye
    Weller (either SR or OWA)
    FR Yellow
    EW Black Label (multipurpose bourbon)

As far as non bourbons go
    Canadian Club (great mixing whiskey)
    Jameson (Wife likes it, as do a few friends)

Thats about it for the staples in my house as far as whiskeys go. We always have Tequila around for the wife too. I also keep some gin and vodka around for when I get a wild hair.
    -Andy

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude

Guru

Bourbons:
    WTRB
    Lot B
    Weller 12
    OGD 114
    BT
    ETL
    Willett (1 or 2)
    FR Mariage or SmB LE or SB
    Ritt BiB
    GTS
    ORVW 10/107
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."