I judged an annual Mint Julep contest with Four Roses Bourbon shortly before Derby. I know there are some of you that never would mess up your Bourbon with Mint, simple syrup or anything of the like. Louisville has some extremely talented mixologists.
I sampled 14 total "Rose Julep" cocktails with some very creative ingredients. From a “Star Fruit Julep” to a Mexican Horchata themed Julep.
The winner was Rory McCollister from Varanese using boar bones in a root beer simple syrup. Here's the recipe...
Triple Crown Rose Julep by Mixologist Rory McCollister
1.5 oz. Four Roses Single Barrel
1.5 oz. Root Beer Simple Syrup*
- In collins glass combine bourbon, simple and mint leaves and muddle to release mint oils.
- Add ice, transfer to mixing tin and shake. Then top with splash root beer and 1 oz. ginger ale.
- Shake lightly and transfer back to glass. garnish with fresh mint.
Serve with a Chocolate Cigar** with Mint Powder ashes*** as shown in photo
*ROOTBEER AND BOAR SIMPLE SYRUP INSTRUCTIONS
- Boil boar bones in root beer on low heat until liquid has reduced by half.
- Remove from heat strain liquid allow to cool and then strain again removing all solids.
- Add equal amount of sugar to liquid and boil low heat to dissolve.
Spring roll shells
- lay out spring roll sheet flat. Layer on chocolate and caramel.
- Roll as if it were a cigar.
- Deep fry until golden brown and then trim ends
MINT POWDER INSTRUCTIONS***
Thin mint cookies or mint Oreos
-Combine 10cookies and 2 tbs Maltodextrin in Food Processor.
- Blend until in looks dry or fat is absorbed